New old guy
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Fidrat

--
23 Apr 2015 12:40 AM
    Last year in June I went to a SCCA autocross event near by as a spectator. I showed up about halfway through the event. As I entered the track it looked like nothing was going on. I was looking for a place to turn around when a man came running up wearing a stopwatch and holding a clipboard. He said if I sign this waiver I can go into the pit area and shoot the breeze with the other drivers. I signed and he pointed out where to go where the Subies were well represented and everyone was very nice.

As I watched I decided they were having WAY too much fun! I WANT IN!!!  My car is an 03 Subaru WRX.  It is in very good mechanical condition.  I guess my question is, what next?
    foobag

--
    23 Apr 2015 10:50 AM
    Scott, the next step is come race at one of our events! Seriously! You can purchase a weekend membership for $10 (which can then be credited towards a full membership) and use one of the loaner helmets. Long term, you'd probably want to get your own helmet which needs to to be Snell rated, specifically one of the following: SA2005, SA2010, SA2015, M2005, M2010, M2015 and get a yearly membership ($85).

Our next event is this Sunday at Oskaloosa Muni Airport. You can pre-register (highly preferred) at http://www.motorsportreg.com/events...owa-756735 There's no penalty for pre-registering and then not making it to the event.

You can see our full schedule for this summer at www.iowaregionscca.org
    wrx8xb

--
    23 Apr 2015 11:55 AM
    Scott,
    Do you have any mods done to the car? what tires are on it?

Preparing for an autox is easy, a little check list I like to go over the day before the event.
    1.) check fluid levels and adjust as needed
    2.) check lug nut torque
    3.) check battery tie down and connections
    4.) pack a small cooler/bag with snacks, sandwiches, lots of water, and sunscreen
    5.) remove any excess items you wont need for the autox
    6.) if you have painters tape (1" works best) bring it for numbers, although with a blue car you'll want green painters tape
    7.) check tire pressures, exact pressures depend on tire brand but with a WRX a good starting point is 38 front 36 rear.
    8.) pack helmet, cameras, racing gloves, folding camping chair (all are optional)

Day of event/at event.
    0.) arrive around the time registration opens, maybe a little earlier. Normally 8:30am.
    1.) find a safe empty parking spot near a fellow subaru owner (not required but we like to stick together)
    2.) unpack the car, empty glove box, remove floor mats, remove spare tire and jack. Usually there is grass space behind your parking spot where you can unload your stuff.
    3.) find the registration table and register/sign in/pay
    4.) apply numbers to your car using your painters tape or borrow some from a fellow competitor
    5.) go through tech inspection (they check wheel bearings/lug torque, brake pedal, and battery)
    6.) find a group who are going to walk the course and walk with them, don't hesitate to ask questions
    7.) repeat 6
    8.) repeat 7
    9.) repeat 8
    10.) attend driver's meeting
    11.) attend novice walk through

It might be a little overwhelming being new, but it really is a great time and everyone is willing to help.

Can't wait to see another Subie out at events!! If you've got questions don't hesitate to ask.

Note:
    Nice inexpensive helmet that'll be good till the 2020 helmets are released.
    http://www.saferacer.com/g-force-pr...010-helmet
    Fidrat

--
    25 Apr 2015 07:24 AM
    Posted By wrx8xb on 23 Apr 2015 11:55 AM
    Scott,
    Do you have any mods done to the car? what tires are on it?

Mods list...intake silencer delete,
    K&N drop-in air filter,
    Koyo Aluminum Racing Radiator 36mm Hyper V core,
    Samco radiator hoses,
    Samco airbox Hose,
    Samco intercooler hoses,
    Borla cat-back,3"twin tip
    Invidia V2 Downpipe Bellmouth,
    Invidia Uppipe, Both titanium heat wrapped
    Cobb lightened crank pulley,
    Walbro fuel pump,
    Grimmspeed 3-port EBCS
    P&L Motorsports Stainless Steel braided high pressure power steering line,
    P&L Motorsports pro-tune on a Dyno-jet,222.99 WHP 223.86 TQ
    kartboy short shifter & bushings,
    Goodridge Stainless Steel braided clutch line and brake lines,
    Hawk quiet slot rotors. HPS pads,
    Whiteline steering rack bushings,front & rear end links,
    ASA AR1-1 17/7.5 rims,

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tires 225/45/17

I think I'm  street prepared-E correct me if I'm wrong.

foobag

--
    25 Apr 2015 04:50 PM
    Scott, you're either A Street Prepared or Street Modified. Without doing some digging, I'm not positive if you qualify for ASP, but I doubt anyone really cares. We do have seven other WRX's running in Street Modified, so you might want to choose that class to have some competitors.
    Fidrat

--
    25 Apr 2015 05:17 PM
    Posted By FooBag on 25 Apr 2015 04:50 PM
    Scott, you're either A Street Prepared or Street Modified. Without doing some digging, I'm not positive if you qualify for ASP, but I doubt anyone really cares. We do have seven other WRX's running in Street Modified, so you might want to choose that class to have some competitors.

Shows how much I know. Is this something that can be worked out at registration?   I'm just going by what the guys on my forum say. 

http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f71/class-58809/

wrx8xb

--
    27 Apr 2015 09:23 AM
    Good meeting you yesterday Scott, hope you had a good time!! Car looks great.

-Drew
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner