FWD Tire Choice
 4 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
sjrobinson

--
03 May 2015 04:40 PM
    I have a 97 Accord. It's front wheel drive and little heavier than most FWD autocross cars. So I'm looking into what I can do to help my times.

One thing I'm thinking about is my tires. But budget limits that. Right now I have 215/45/17 dunlops that are pretty nice.

I was wondering if I could get away with throwing two competition tires on the front at 225/40/17. That would slightly increase acceleration with a smaller tire diameter, increase steering response with a smaller sidewall, and increase grip.

I'm just wondering if I'm missing any cons by doing this or if it makes sense to do on a FWD car- having no significant issues by ignoring the rear tires. My car is pretty neutral as far as oversteer and understeer due to other mods and tweaks.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 May 2015 10:10 PM
    No reason not to do that. However most people who have tried a "reverse stagger" setup (usually in SMF) haven't found it to be convincingly better.
    sjrobinson

--
    07 May 2015 06:13 PM
    I see. I'm not sure what to expect. However, I was hoping to get a softer tire for the front for just track days that would help as well. Maybe not worth it then?
    OZMDD
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 May 2015 11:00 AM
    You are very likely to end up with a car that spins-out or gets very sideways if you have too much grip differential in your tires front-to-rear. All due respect, there are a lot of limiting factors on a mostly-stock Accord. Body roll, shocks, transmission, etc. Better tires will help, but only marginally. I would try for a matched set of used summer tires from another competitor on a cheap set of extra wheels, then focus on becoming a good enough driver to maximize the car you have. Yes, it will be a little frustrating to be off the pace, but no amount of work or parts will make the accord a front-runner.

Have fun and learn, then consider finding a fast car to codrive in, or shop for an autox ride of your own. Everybody goes through this part of the process (and its always frustrating when you are excited about getting faster), but it WILL make you a better driver if you learn to drive what you have, and avoid trying to mod or spend your way to speed. I see too many drivers who can't be fast without r-comps and highly-prepped cars, since they never learned to drive without the crutches first.

Good luck! If it helps, I started autox-ing in a bone-stock Yaris on oem tires at the same time as another local started in his 4-door AT Accord, and we both eventually became pretty good STR-class drivers, but we both spent 1 or 2 seasons in our grocery getters first.
    Bigoc1655

--
    30 Jul 2015 02:56 PM
    Great post ^^^
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner