AspireTec Engineering  468
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 27 Aug 2015 03:17 PM by  Joe Weinstein
Street tires better than r-compounds on dirty surfaces?
 4 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Primetime Glick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
08 Jun 2015 04:40 PM
    Does anyone think/know if street tires are an advantage over R-compounds on low-grip, dirty asphalt surfaces?

I'm pondering replacements for my hardened Z214 C71s and my excuse-laden gut tells me they evacuate gravel better, while I always feel like I'm "skating" on my impacted-gravel-covered Z214s.

Maybe streets are more predictable/consistent on dirty lots but offer a lower overall grip threshold?

FWIW I'm eyeballing RE71Rs. $150 savings over a set of 4, too.

-Adam
    rtp.rick
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    09 Jun 2015 06:35 PM
    Yes, on very dirty surfaces.

Rick Ruth
    Grintch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    22 Jun 2015 01:25 PM
    I don't think they are better, but they aren't much worse. Which means the extra money and effort to run R Compounds is maybe not worth it on such surfaces.
    Mrsideways
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10 Jul 2015 01:22 PM
    I bought a set of wheels that came with some 275 C71 Hankooks with a prod date of 2007. Tires look good, felt soft to the finger nail and had plenty of rubber left on them. So I took em to sebring and gave em a try. Last time this car did laps at sebring it had 50 less hp and 225 Hoosier A6's. It was 3.8 seconds slower on the Hankooks. So Moral of the story.... Old R-comps = worse then all seasons. I'm fairly certain Snow Tires would have put a better lap time in.
    Joe Weinstein

--
    27 Aug 2015 03:17 PM
    As was said, on very dirty/loose surfaces, yes. I've seen a good driver with hoosiers trailer the car
    after one run on a very gravelly (tiny gravel) surface because as soon as the tire got any heat at all
    it got coated with gravel like a cinnamon donut and drove like it was on ball-bearings. Street tires
    were able to soldier on... No fun either way, but less for the hoosiers.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner