Magnus effect aero
 2 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
the3lracer

--
07 Jul 2015 11:00 PM
    So one of my friends running in SSM is toying with the idea of creating a rear wing designed to make use of the Magnus effect (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect). This would be, in some way, powered by an electric motor (I'm guessing some sort of belt-driven system). The system would spin at a constant velocity and could not be switched on/off while the vehicle is in motion.

The $10,000 question is, would this be legal in SSM (or any class, for that matter) if it could fit into all of the documented constraints? (I know well the rule of "if it doesn't say you can, you can't", but to me it is not clear if this fits the constraints set forth in the rule book)

Other questions include:
    -Would it be SSM (or any class) legal to rig up a Magnus effect "wing" on the FRONT of the car?
    -Would you need to consider the entire surface area of the rotating cylinder in the wing surface area calculation, or only half of it?
    -Would this actually be an effective method of generating downforce at all?
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Jul 2015 12:28 PM
    I don't think that an autocross car moves fast enough for this to work better than existing methods and I also believe that airfoils that "move" are illegal.
    the3lracer

--
    08 Jul 2015 03:01 PM
    The exact phrasing of the rule pertaining to moveable aero in SSM reads "Except for standard parts, wings designed to be adjustable while the car is in motion must be locked in a single position."

This is why I provided the stipulation of the constant velocity of the spinning cylinder, as well as the inability to turn it on/off while the vehicle is in motion.

I know no one locally is going to protest him trying it, so if he can figure out a way to make it work and be effective, he's going to do it.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner