classing assistance
 5 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
170-3tree

--
12 Jul 2015 04:32 PM
    Hey all. I'm new here after doing a kc regional event a couple weeks ago. I have a 2013 Chevy Cruze that I took out and did better than expected in. Right now, I'm just concerned with classing restrictions.

It got listed as H street even though I have a tune installed on it that gave about 38-45hp over the stock 134 crank output. This, I think actually makes me just competitive in the HS class versus Fiesta st and scion tc's, but I know its not right. I should be in STF if I read right in the book.

Now heres the kicker, I ordered a set of wheels about a month ago, they are 18x8 and suggest a 245/40-18 tire for proper fit. From the sounds of it, max wheel size in STF is 7" and tire diam. is 225mm? I can also run a 225/45 if need be, but I'm still out of the wheel max, even with stock wheels, as they measure 7.5". I'm more worried about being classed into something stoopid that I cannot ever compete in. I just want to do it right so that I"m not slanting myself when I get seriously into the sport next year after I'm noviced out.

Thanks all!!
    Gerald
    rodhx

--
    12 Jul 2015 10:07 PM
    You're correct that your car wasn't legal for HS. A 33% increase in power with a tune? Is this a turbo car and you've changed boost or something? If so it isn't STF legal.

STF max wheel width is 7.5", not 7". The new wheels would bump you to whatever SP class the Cruze fits in and, if your affecting boost, the tune puts you in SMF or SM.
    170-3tree

--
    13 Jul 2015 01:35 AM
    It is a turbo. I didn't do anything to the actual boost, but the torque requirements. I've read the rules for sp and St and from what I gathered, it should apply to fsp. But I might request clarification when I go in next time from someone.

Like I said, I don't want to have screwed myself out of ever being competitive, especially when I plan on getting more serious in coming years. But I also don't want to be cheating the system, even though I keep finding ways that it cheats some of us.
    170-3tree

--
    13 Jul 2015 01:41 AM
    This is from the book I downloaded today.

f) Boost regulation systems, either electronic or mechanical, and
    electronic fuel cuts referencing boost pressure may be altered or
    modified except as prohibited herein. Boost pressure changes re-
    sulting from authorized changes are permitted.

Which to me means the tune can affect boost, but I cannot change any mechanical forced induction control systems to achieve additional or different boost characteristics.
    rodhx

--
    13 Jul 2015 07:16 AM
    Perhaps the tune is SP legal then, I am not familiar with SP turbo rules. With that kind of performance gain on a turbo car it doesn't *sound* ST legal, but I guess it could be. Just be prepared for the questions. Doesn't matter with those 8" wide wheels though as they definitely take you out of STF.
    170-3tree

--
    13 Jul 2015 07:34 AM
    Yeah. I realized that after I wrote the post. Reading that book made my head hurt. Like I said, I'll try to find clarification on the tune before I proceed. But I know the tires and wheels move me out. I appreciate the help!!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner