Engine swap classification question
 11 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cornecob

--
16 Jul 2015 03:26 PM
    I have an 1984 BMW 318i with the vastly under powered 1.8l M10 engine. The car has upgraded sway bars, autox springs, Bilstein shocks, front camber plates, and 15x7 wheels with 200 tread wear BFG tires. With these modifications I understand the car will compete in STS with cars that make a whole lot more power.

My question is if I were to swap an M42 engine (4 cyl, 138hp) from a 89-91 model of 318i in the E30 generation would I loose my ability to run in Street Touring? As I understand it is legal to swap equipment from other models or trim levels, but are engines included?
    rodhx

--
    16 Jul 2015 06:21 PM
    Nope. The engine swap you propose moves you to Street Modified, where it would be legal to use any BMW motor. The M10 318i is in FSP while the M42 car is in DSP, so you would skip SP altogether.

You may be thinking about Street Prepared's update/backdate allowance with your "As I understand it is legal to swap equipment from other models or trim levels" comment. While ST lets you change suspension, exhaust, intake, & other components, it is not legal to swap stuff just cause it is from another model or trim level that would otherwise be outside the Street & ST allowances.
    WrongWheelDrive

--
    21 Jul 2015 08:23 AM
    As per the latest fasttrack, that would now be a FSP legal swap, but still not ST legal.
    rodhx

--
    21 Jul 2015 10:02 AM

Posted By WrongWheelDrive on 21 Jul 2015 08:23 AM
    As per the latest fasttrack, that would now be a FSP legal swap, but still not ST legal.

Curious timing given this thread, but that is just a proposal seeking member feedback at this point.
    cornecob

--
    28 Jul 2015 04:04 AM
    Wait, so the car is not eligible for STS in the first place? Or do the modifications prevent it from being eligible?
    rodhx

--
    28 Jul 2015 08:51 AM

Posted By CorneCob on 28 Jul 2015 04:04 AM
    Wait, so the car is not eligible for STS in the first place? Or do the modifications prevent it from being eligible?

No one said that since your question was about a motor swap, but now that you ask the news isn't good. It doesn't belong in STS but it isn't the mods that prevent it. All e30s are in STX, which makes your power deficit even greater unfortunately.

See page 178: http://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules
    cornecob

--
    28 Jul 2015 01:39 PM
    Hahaha oh boy, well I guess I might as well just run it. Would I be better off running in STX or FSP? Obviously the car would not be very competitive, but where would I have a better chance of maybe placing second to last? Thanks for the info by the way.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Jul 2015 05:13 PM
    STX is, on paper, an easier class. Its PAX index is .831 compared to .840 for FSP.

However, you're much more likely to encounter a properly prepped STX car than a properly prepped FSP car at a local event. With FSP there's a good chance you'd be the only car in your class at a lot of events, then it comes down to how your region handles that.
    rodhx

--
    28 Jul 2015 05:15 PM
    The harsh truth is there is no way an 84 318 can be competitive in STX. If you're new to the sport that doesn't mean give up on it as it could still be a good way to learn the basics, but you do have to realize you're bringing a club to a gun fight. I can't speak as to whether the engine swap would make it competitive in FSP, assuming the proposed rule change mentioned by WrongWheelDrive goes through and allows it.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Jul 2015 08:05 PM
    I believe a 16V e30 318i would be competitive if properly built for FSP. The RWD cars seem to have the edge right now on most nationals type courses, and I think it would be competitive with the AE86 and 2002. I think with a set of R-comps a streetable 16V e30 could be very competitive at a local level in FSP, with most of the allowed engine and suspension work.

The 145-150ish hp you could get out of the M42 would be very comparable to the top cars in the class.
    cornecob

--
    28 Jul 2015 08:42 PM
    The other option I was thinking of was turbo charging the M10, but leaving the mechanical fuel injection. The rules of SP don't seem to mention turbocharging, but my guess is that is definitely not class legal, and might land me in a Prepared class. But from what you all are saying, a modified M42 and some R comps would make the car competitive in FSP, which seems like my best bet. I think I will run the car as is for the time being, and learn how to drive.
    rodhx

--
    29 Jul 2015 07:19 AM
    The turbo M10 is probably a bad idea because M10...seems like you're starting with too large a deficit. Adding the turbo would put you in Street Mod (SM), I believe, where it is also legal to swap in ANY BMW motor.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner