Class changes
 8 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
imarcr2

--
30 Jul 2015 12:18 PM
    When does SCCA normally decide when class changes will occur....ie ND miata, C5 Corvette, etc?
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Jul 2015 09:49 PM
    The ND miata, as a new car, will be classed immediately and it looks like they're going to let it into CS.

The C5 Non-Z06 is already out for member comment on moving it back to AS. The rationale is that C5 Z06 and C5 non-Z06 prices have gotten pretty close and the enthusiast is likely to choose the Z06. Also, non-Z06 owners will still have the enticing option of an STU build

Expect more rule proposals in the October fastrack. They hold back some major things until after Nationals.

They have to decide on the proposals before printing the 2016 yearbook, so in December, and would be printed in the rulebook in January/January fastrack.
    rodhx

--
    31 Jul 2015 08:30 AM
    Also remember that "effective immediately" class changes and classifications of new cars can happen monthly and are published in Fastrack.
    marcfs71

--
    31 Jul 2015 11:54 AM
    drdisque wrote: The C5 Non-Z06 is already out for member comment on moving it back to AS. The rationale is that C5 Z06 and C5 non-Z06 prices have gotten pretty close and the enthusiast is likely to choose the Z06. Also, non-Z06 owners will still have the enticing option of an STU build.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I agree that the prices are not that far apart between certain non-Z06's (i.e. FRC) and Z06's but how does price have anything to do with the competitiveness of the two cars? Obviously with the larger wheels, better gearing, and more HP, the Z06 is more competitive.

Also, what is enticing about having to spend a lot more money on a car to make it competitive in another class? I like stock classes because I can drive the car to work and also autocross it and not have to spend a bunch of time and money to hopefully make it competitive.

Lugod and Borg have spent hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars and have sponsors (parts, dyno's, alignment, tuning, etc.) to support their STU builds. Not too many people (including myself) have the time or resources to do that.

My wife and I put in our comments for keeping the C5 Corvette in BS. We had much different rationale than price differences.
    imarcr2

--
    31 Jul 2015 01:37 PM
    I am in a B Street MS-R Miata and would like to be put back into C, but the next best thing would be FRC vettes moving to A Street.

I would even consider a switch to a 09+ MX-5 and go to C.

The struggle is real
    rodhx

--
    31 Jul 2015 02:02 PM
    I don't think prices have much at all to do with the C5 discussion. The issue out for comment with the proposed class change is whether it is believed to be an overdog in BS or do you bury it in AS where it will struggle against C5Zs and C6s. I am in the market for my next autocross car this is one of the rulings I'm watching as it could affect my choice.
    twistedwankel

--
    31 Jul 2015 02:07 PM

Posted By marcfs71 on 31 Jul 2015 11:54 AM
    drdisque wrote: The C5 Non-Z06 is already out for member comment on moving it back to AS. The rationale is that C5 Z06 and C5 non-Z06 prices have gotten pretty close and the enthusiast is likely to choose the Z06. Also, non-Z06 owners will still have the enticing option of an STU build.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I agree that the prices are not that far apart between certain non-Z06's (i.e. FRC) and Z06's but how does price have anything to do with the competitiveness of the two cars? Obviously with the larger wheels, better gearing, and more HP, the Z06 is more competitive.

Also, what is enticing about having to spend a lot more money on a car to make it competitive in another class? I like stock classes because I can drive the car to work and also autocross it and not have to spend a bunch of time and money to hopefully make it competitive.

Lugod and Borg have spent hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars and have sponsors (parts, dyno's, alignment, tuning, etc.) to support their STU builds. Not too many people (including myself) have the time or resources to do that.

My wife and I put in our comments for keeping the C5 Corvette in BS. We had much different rationale than price differences.

I totally agree with above C5 staying in BS will have to find out how to send in comments also. I assumed if they moved the C5 to AS then the Z06 would naturally move to SS? We have a nationally competitive Miata driver in FL who kills us all in BS as it is.
    http://crbscca.com/ Found site for comment. Cool.
    twistedwankel

--
    31 Jul 2015 03:25 PM

Posted By rodhx on 31 Jul 2015 02:02 PM
    I don't think prices have much at all to do with the C5 discussion. The issue out for comment with the proposed class change is whether it is believed to be an overdog in BS or do you bury it in AS where it will struggle against C5Zs and C6s. I am in the market for my next autocross car this is one of the rulings I'm watching as it could affect my choice.

For what it's worth....most of the top hardcore National stock/street auto crossers I used to race against leased their cars. They always had the top dog that way and raced under warrantee. Personally I've always had a "dedicated" paid off autocross car that I also enjoy just driving on weekends. No jackets but could still trophy.
    rodhx

--
    31 Jul 2015 10:11 PM
    I assumed if they moved the C5 to AS then the Z06 would naturally move to SS?

No. The proposal out for comment only involves the C5 from BS to AS.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner