swapping cars mid event at an solo question
 9 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Itsa914

--
18 Aug 2015 12:24 AM
    So the topic came up at one of our events about swapping cars mid event during a solo. Not because of a mechanical issue, but just to drive a different car. An example was given of driving a FP car then changing to a ASP car. Should the times ran in the ASP car be index at the FP index of ASP?

Tired looking up in the solo rules, but didn't find an answer. Maybe I missed it?
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    18 Aug 2015 05:41 AM
    Precedent is he can switch cars so long as it's the same class. If he switched to a car that wasn't legal for the class (the ASP is not FP legal, I assume?), it would fall to his competitors to protest the results under the official rules. We've had this come up a handful of times in my region, and usually ask competitors to pick which class they want to run in beforehand, and DNF the others as exhibition runs in the computer.
    rodhx

--
    18 Aug 2015 07:22 AM

and DNF the others as exhibition runs in the computer.

This. Locally we occasionally have someone jump into a car from a different class for a run or two. The driver tells the starter his real class/number and to DNF the run, which gets relayed to the t&s trailer.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    18 Aug 2015 11:24 AM
    If the car he switches to is legal in the class he was registered in, they count.
    If not they are exhibition/DSQ runs.

For example, just yesterday an SSM driver switched to an SS Porsche Cayman for the afternoon (incidentally the Cayman was running ASP for points). Since the Cayman is legal in SSM, that's fine. But it wouldn't be fine the other way around.
    Itsa914

--
    18 Aug 2015 03:58 PM
    So can anyone point me to me where in the rule book it says it is ok to swap cars mid event? Not trying to make this a big deal, but I would like something in print that says it is ok. For me I really don't care one way or the other, just trying to get a better handle on this. I assume at a regional level it is not that big of a deal, but do they allow it at a National event?
    twistedwankel

--
    18 Aug 2015 04:26 PM
    You have got plenty of good answers all ready. No they don't have time for "fun runs" at any National Event. BUT as previously mentioned it's very common for someone in the same class to share their car with someone who has broken their car during the first heat and cannot continue even after a 5 minute "mechanical". A lot of great people in SCCA.

I've seen many top people in the past when it was required to compete in a National Tour Prior to "The Nationals" take a slow car stroll once in the morning and once in the afternoon rather than drag their race car 200 miles. That is no longer a mandatory requirement. Just some history.

The local Event Chair has plenty of options so long as it's okay with the Safety Steward and not protestable (I've seen some really petty protests). Our local group is very FL relaxed by some SCCA standards (which we love). Car sharing within a class is normal. Instructor runs are common. After the competition event and trophy presentation Fun Runs are common - time permitting.

Remember the Civics that ran The Nationals "under classed" in STX a couple years ago and they got banned the next year as they were quite dominant? If it isn't written it isn't allowed at Nationals.

So in short my answer to your question would be NO.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    18 Aug 2015 10:29 PM
    At the Toledo Match Tour two drivers I know switched cars. One between heats (within FS - there was no mechanical), and one in the middle of a heat (in ESP, after a mechanical). Note that in both of these cases the car that was switched into was already registered and teched for that class. So there is precedent of this being allowed at National events.

However, I don't think they would allow you to jump into a car that wasn't already teched and registered for the class you are competing in. You probably couldn't, for example, have a mechanical in your SM car and then jump in an ASP car, even though that ASP car would be theoretically be legal in SM. If a car is going to compete in a class, I believe it has to be teched in that class.
    rodhx

--
    19 Aug 2015 08:01 AM

Remember the Civics that ran The Nationals "under classed" in STX a couple years ago and they got banned the next year as they were quite dominant? If it isn't written it isn't allowed at Nationals.

This isn't the same issue at all. The Civics you reference in STX were perfectly legal and were being run in ST & STX by multiple drivers. It was a case of recognizing that their cars were legal for an additional class and capable of winning that class if you had one or two more drivers who wanted to run there. They weren't "banned" per se, rather Street Touring as a whole was restructured such that any one car is only eligible for a specific ST class, thus eliminating class-hopping within the category.

The same thing has gone on forever and goes on now, just not within one category and typically without the success the ST Civic "teams" had. For example, a CS Miata can have two drivers in CS, two drivers in CSL, more drivers in STR, etc.
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    19 Aug 2015 12:50 PM

Posted By Garold on 18 Aug 2015 03:58 PM
    So can anyone point me to me where in the rule book it says it is ok to swap cars mid event? Not trying to make this a big deal, but I would like something in print that says it is ok. For me I really don't care one way or the other, just trying to get a better handle on this. I assume at a regional level it is not that big of a deal, but do they allow it at a National event?

4.5 CAR/DRIVER CHANGES
    If during the event a vehicle develops mechanical problems resulting in
    its permanent withdrawal from the class heat competition, its driver(s)
    may finish his/her (their) runs in another vehicle which is compliant in
    that class. Drivers needing to finish their runs in another vehicle, as
    permitted by this allowance, must obtain the approval of the Operating
    Steward.
    A driver may change cars prior to the beginning of competition until
    the driver’s class heat begins, at the discretion of the Chief Steward or
    Chief of Registration in consultation with the Chief of Timing.

Local event is a little different - IMO on one hand, who cares (if they follow above)? On the other, you usually have an index to worry about so IMO you would/should always stick with the harder class and index for all the runs. E.G. A few events ago, I took two runs at a local in my EM car and it was starting to rain, so I parked it and switched to my FStreet Mustang that a buddy was already running. All of my times were scored and indexed as EM. If I had started in FStreet, I obviously could not have used times from the EM car there, so I would have to either swtich to EM or just get a DNF for the latter runs.

DaveW

SVT199
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Sep 2015 11:38 AM
    Back in the day I brought 2 cars to the larger events and Nationals for ESP, my Mustang and my STi in case it rained. Although I was allowed to do it (only needed it once) I got a stern letter from the SCCA telling me that they thought I was bending the spirit of the rules and asked me to stop, which I did.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner