2012+ SRT Jeeps
 2 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
weekendracer

--
27 Aug 2015 01:54 AM
    I have a friend with a 2013 SRT Jeep and he would really like to run it at an event. I see trucks from Porsche Macam's in C street, and a Mix of SRT-10 Ram, GMC typhoon and Hurricanes, in F Street. I am certain an SRT Jeep is way more roll resistant and safer around twists than a big srt-10 Ram. So why no classing? The SRT Jeep is one of the most fun cars to drive at the SRT Experience autocross track, if Chrysler seems to find it ok to run the jeep around an autocross corse, why doesn't the SCCA? Just my $.02 but I am curious if it could be classed.

Thanks
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    27 Aug 2015 07:15 PM
    SCCA has a fine line to tread with respect to rollover risk; we want everyone to be able to enjoy autocrossing their car, but vehicles rolling at events is not just bad for the driver, but risks losing sites completely. So it's not just about what the driver is willing to risk, but what the club is willing to risk, too. High-CG vehicles (like nearly every SUV) are thus banned.

A quick look shows that SRT Jeeps are about 5" taller than the average track width, which makes them an excessive rollover risk and is thus not permitted for SCCA autocross. Many "sporty" cars like Nissan Juke, Fiat 500, and Mini Countryman are banned for stability reasons, too. Porsche Macan, on the other hand, is 2" shorter than the average track width and has a high performance suspension. I'm still a bit surprised Ram SRT10 is classed and can only assume it has a REALLY low CG that was well documented. Pickups are often better than SUVs with that respect.

Also, Chrysler probably wasn't strapping Rival Ss onto their SRTs at the experience and driving them around courses with rough surfaces and off-camber turns.
    boardkat
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Aug 2015 10:07 PM
    we have that runs @ our local PCA events. very bumpy site, lots of off-camber elements usually. hasn't rolled over yet, but it's a very new driver on stock tires on courses that rarely get over 55mph..

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner