PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 19 Sep 2015 06:22 PM by  sjfehr
Safety Steward question: Windows up or down - during a SCCA Solo run?
 3 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Conekilla

--
17 Sep 2015 02:24 AM
    As the thread title indicates, what's the scca rulebook rule on this matter? is it something SCCA dictates or the insurance company dictates (for that region) or the region has the final saying on what goes (yes vs no)?

I have seen some people run with their windows up. In a crash or just losing consciousness (out of the blue) or seizure or any other medical complication during a run, it'll be much harder to bring someone out of a "window up" car vs. a window down. Also, someone a course worker can yell "red flag ahead" or "red flag! red flag" and if windows are down you have more chances of hearing that worker if you can't see the red flag ahead. So I'd think window up should be crucial and important for the safety aspect but I'm not sure what's the actual rule on this by SCCA (if there is one).
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    17 Sep 2015 11:38 AM
    I am pretty sure the rule requiring them to be rolled down was removed in the 80's. I remember a controversy at a very wet Evansville Divisional event before Tours even existed. The issue was interiors getting trashed from getting wet and I think some people left the event over it.

IMO, you are barking up a tree of diminishing returns here. How many medical issues are occurring per year? And of those, how many are having trouble getting workers into the car? Course working is a bit of a red herring (to me)...most places are so red flag happy anyway, it seems to me that there is rarely an issue getting a car stopped.

It would seem that getting a person with a medical issue out of a caged race car with full harness would be at least as troublesome for an untrained Solo course worker as a closed window.

All IMO, etc.
    DaveW
    Kylini

--
    18 Sep 2015 11:04 AM
    The "extraction" concerns of a closed window compete with the "rollover pinning arms" concerns of an open window. Rallycross requires closed windows (or nets or arm restraints) because rollovers are much more likely.

For autocross, if there *was* a rule nowadays, it should defer to closed windows being safer than open windows. As is, no rule is fine.
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    19 Sep 2015 06:22 PM
    Unless something slipped in and I didn't notice, there is presently no rule regarding windows- there used to be one, but it was removed several years ago.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner