Custom car class help
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
midnightmoonlight

--
19 Sep 2015 07:39 AM
    I used to run a 1972 240z in fp. I vowed to never run again outside a stock class because its hard to be competitive without spending alot of money. Well that was 8 years ago and the 240 days are over. Im building a fun car that will be barely street legal thats ment to have fun not be competitive well........that might change.

I know I need to read the rules but was hoping someone can save me some time and get me to the class I will fall into so I can then go from there.

So Im building something a little different. I dont think the body is even considered in the rules. Anyway here goes. Ive taken the suspension from a 1986 c4 corvette and mounted it to a frame I built from scratch. Im in the building part now. Dana44 lsd rear end fully customized adjustable with rod ends and coil overs independent front and rear. Front will also be fully adjustable with coilovers. The engine is an alcohol chevy 350 its a mild build with cam for low end torque and 60over should be 500hp. The tranny is a power glide.

The floor pan is original but is raise up 6" inside the body. The only other change I can see at this point is the windshield and window frame will get cut down by 12" or so. Doesnt make any real difference because it will be removed or layed down for racing. Onto the body its a jeep cj5 1986.

666will be a
    custom built powerglide. The car will have a full role cage and kirky seats. The body will have the entire floor pan but its getting raised up
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    19 Sep 2015 07:57 AM
    E Modifed

DaveW
    midnightmoonlight

--
    19 Sep 2015 08:23 AM
    Thanks. I think I was reading about your setup just the other day. I will have to look through the rules and see what I can and can't do.
    midnightmoonlight

--
    19 Sep 2015 12:09 PM
    What I'm doing is raising the floor to lower the body closer to the ground. Does this fall under changing the the center of gravity. What constitutes a modified tub? I think the only thing is under b below.

a. All attributes of a Stock Tub must be maintained in this category except as explicitly allowed below. There is a weight adjustment associated with a modified tub.
    b. A modified tub is one that mainly achieves a lower CG and im- proved strength to weight ratio.
    c. Lightweight replacement body panels, a thinned-down standard fiberglass body, or a lift-off lightweight shell attached to the main body structure are examples of a modified tub when done in the bulkhead-to-bulkhead region.
    d. Vertical features above the bottom floor pan plane do not have to satisfy original minimum size or shape. Note that the original width and length of the floor pan still have to meet the original dimensions. Drivetrain tunnels and seat mounting platforms may be made smaller than standard with a Modified Tub weight adjustment. A flat floor pan is legal.
    e. Floor pan material and thickness are open under Modified Tub allowances.
    f. Rear passenger doors, if present, may be replaced with non-func- tional panels. Front and rear doors and door openings may be altered to accommodate compliant wheelbase changes.
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    19 Sep 2015 04:28 PM
    You will be a modified tub for sure, but it is only a 50# penalty

As far as the rules are concerned, the vehicle is a Jeep since that is what it looks like. To avoid the mod tub penalty, you would have to keep the attributes of the Jeep, not the Corvette.

DaveW

midnightmoonlight

--
    19 Sep 2015 05:52 PM
    The only changes Im making fo the body is raising the floor. It will be all jeep other then that. So basically I can do what ever I want as long as it looks like a jeep in the end.

Offf the subject a bit what have you done to the suspension of your corvette to make it handle better? Is it a c4? If you dont mind me asking what are your alignment numbers?

47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    20 Sep 2015 05:27 PM
    Yes, it just needs to resemble a Jeep. There are two "Jeeps" running in DM or EM already.

My car is a Mustang body with complete custom hand built tube frame and suspension.

THanks,

Dave
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner