Roll cage question e mod open car
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
midnightmoonlight

--
25 Oct 2015 07:18 PM
    I want to make sure my main hoop I need to build for my car will meet the rules for e mod open car. It might be hard to visualize with words but here goes.

My wheel well is right behind my seat and to tie the main hoop into the frame under my seat I have two options. Run the hoop at a angle to the back of the car then over the back part of my head 2" above of course. Here is where the problem occurs the cross bar in the hoop would then have to be bent to clear the seat along with the straight bar at shoulder height. That's option one but it doesn't sound as strong. I could move the seat forward but that would be less then ideal. Option two would be to bend the bottom 12" of the main hoop to follow the curve of the wheel well and move the hoop behind the seat. This would allow me to keep the cross bar in the hoop in the same plane as the hoop along with the shoulder height straight bar.

So what I've read in the rules these should both be okay but what's stronger and safer? It seems to be a toss up
    Thanks for the help
    midnightmoonlight

--
    29 Oct 2015 08:22 PM
    How's this cage pass tech for emod? I'm confused.
    Attachments
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    29 Oct 2015 09:01 PM
    Impossible to answer the question without a photo or drawing. :)

In general with the roll cage rules, many things are Suggested, or May. The only things required say Must or Shall. What is your concern over the "Jeep"?

DaveW
    midnightmoonlight

--
    31 Oct 2015 11:41 PM
    I will check rules again but I have 3 concerns with the cage. No diaganol brace in main hoop, harness shoulder bar is well below shoulders(if he wrecks those belts will pull down and compress his back, and if you draw a line from front hoop to main hoop on an open car your head needs to be below that line so you don't eat pavement in a roll over. From what I understand this jeep was at the nationals. Idk I'm just looking for clear wording on what I have to have. I will be rereading again. I'm trying to plan my cage for my jeep and just want to meet the requirements
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    01 Nov 2015 06:09 PM
    You are confusing a good cage with a legal one. In Solo, the former is not required.

I am not condoning the bar on that car, BTW.

DaveW
    Grintch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Nov 2015 05:31 PM
    Right, the diagonal bar is not REQUIRED for Solo, only recommended. And the cross bar/harness mounting is pretty open as well in Solo. If I was building a car, I would be looking at TT & GCR rules in case I ever wanted to use it at the track. Even then it's worthwile talking to your local tech inspector, as sometime they interprete the rules differently than you do.
    midnightmoonlight

--
    03 Nov 2015 07:37 PM
    I get it now I kind of rushed through the solo rules and thought it said modified had to follow the gcr but what it really says (after opening my eyes) is you have to follow appendix c or the gcr. So the above cage is perfectly fine for solo but I wouldn't want to flip it. I'm trying to build a cage for solo and road racing so when I read through the gcr thinking it had to follow those rules for solo I was confused by the above jeep. It's all clear as a bell now. What I'm having trouble with is if I attach the roll cage to the frame the body can't come off without cutting the cage if I go with the max allowed cage in the gcr. So to make a long story short I'm going to build the cage to meet the solo rules and easily added to, to meet the gcr rules.
    Thanks for the help
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner