overbuilt car, can I play?
 5 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
DogMobile

--
01 Nov 2015 05:55 PM
    Due to a head-on, I can no longer shift. My right hand presses buttons and I can barely shift a column shifter, and I won't be shifting a car again. I could buy a brand new car at this point, but that isn't my style. I've decided to "commission" a classic Chevy and autocross it occasionally for fun. I'll budget $15K-$20K total, at least for the initial build. One way I figure is to pick up a near finished project and have a shop finish it. I just want to autocross as a legal way to flog a car and participate, but I have no interest in beating anyone but the clock. The car will be a daily driver, 1975 or older, power steering, air conditioning, fit my giant dog in the back (no kidding), and maybe Gear Vendors electric overdrive. Several things (size and weight) count against it for autocross, and several might give me an unfair advantage. They might balance out to equal performance, but I certainly don't wish to be viewed as a cheat!

A racing shop found me a 73 GM X-body hatch (exactly what I wanted, with plenty of hatch space), but that car is built to the hilt with no attention paid to SCCA racing classes, and the drivetrain just went elsewhere. It has tubular aftermarket upper and lower A arms, police package steering, smaller steering wheel, plus every upgrade that is allowed, drivetrain is not selected but I will likely buy a crate 383... and the model is heavy and long and I'm not doing anything to change that. Most of the time, that's how I'll get around. I'm retired early. I drive 5K miles a year, and like a sporty ride. I don't think I'll go to enough autocross events to justify a lack of overdrive. Builder wants to use 700R4, but the gearing seems wrong. The rear end has every gear ratio available as replacement parts for $200-$400. I like the idea of a Gear Venders overdrive ($2400?) which can be set up for electric bang shifts between 2.54:1 and 1.9:1, giving me a huge advantage through autocross speeds. I'm not interested in competition except against the clock.

If I get the car made completely safe, can I participate even though I'm breaking class rules for both Street Prepared and Street Modified? Is there a class for such a car? What about other groups than SCCA that would welcome such a modified classic Chevy to a flogging session? There's nothing stock about it, so hardly goes with true classics.

I'm considering buying that car and having the shop pick it up this week. However, I can also let this one go, and get something similar that most likely won't break the rules - and I still come back to what to do about shifting.

Your suggestions are most welcome.
    moxnix
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    02 Nov 2015 07:19 AM
    Have you looked at the SCCA CAM rules? As long as you plan on running Street tires (200+ treadwear) they are pretty open.
    https://www.facebook.com/download/1...0Final.pdf
    DogMobile

--
    02 Nov 2015 12:14 PM
    "Rationale: The purpose of CAM is to attract automobile enthusiasts who are currently interested and/or participating in Goodguys®, Ultimate Street Car Association®, or other similar events for “classic” vehicles manufactured in North America by “The Big Three” based in the US - GM, Ford, and Chrysler (AMC is also included). These avid enthusiasts would largely be a new and different group to join us as SCCA® members"

That works for me, but does that category participate at all the same events?

Can I use the Gear Venders Overdrive? (bang shift between 2.54:1 and 1.9:1)
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 Nov 2015 02:29 PM
    Yes, every region I'm aware of uses CAM classes. The car you are discussing would be in CAMT.

Yes, drive ratios and driveline modifications are unlimited. As long as the car has a "finished" interior, is on 200TW tires or higher, and weighs over 3000 lbs without you in it, it's legal for CAMT. If it weighs under 3000 lbs then it's in CAMS.
    DogMobile

--
    03 Nov 2015 02:42 AM
    Thank you, I'll build it for CAM T. That seems to cover everything, though I would love to verify that I really can use an electric overdrive. I'd hate to set up for it and learn I can't use it.
    Grintch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Nov 2015 05:13 PM
    From the rules:
    Engine and Drive Train Allowances
    • Components (internal and external) are unrestricted

It doesn't get more legal than unrestricted.

I don't see any anything that would be illegal in Street Modified either, but CAM is surely a better fit unless you want to run R compounds.

And there is always A Modified, where anything with 4 wheels and less wing area than a 727 is legal.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner