AspireTec Engineering  468
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 30 Nov 2015 08:05 PM by  twistedwankel
Street FASTRACK #15730 Non-factory/Non-standard Body Reinforcement Allowance Proposal
 7 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
twistedwankel

--
28 Nov 2015 01:39 PM
    Street
    #15730 Non-factory/Non-standard Body Reinforcement Allowance Proposal
    In accordance with the recommendation of the SAC, the SEB proposes adding a new paragraph to 13.1, as follows:
    “Front bumpers, rear bumpers, body trim pieces and attachment points may be reinforced to prevent or repair
    damage from hitting cones.. Reinforcements that are not visible to the exterior of the car are allowed provided
    they do not serve any other purpose. Modifications that change the exterior appearance in any way are not
    permitted.”

http://www.scca.com/downloads/10260...ember-solo

Everyone should read this issue of FASTRACK and comment on issues or they won't know what you think about the proposed changes. Do you really want the C7 Vettes in AS to mess with the Z06 monopoly? Another topic. Only one issue can be addressed on each email.

I bought a 2004 C Street RX8 5 years ago with a few beauty add-ons, a few screens and strakes on the fenders and facia chrome front and rear. Two screens protect the oil coolers. They are also pretty. No one cares outside of Nationals. No one cared at a Tour as I placed out of the trophies. These would make my car illegal per this rule. Where will it go? CSP? End of SCCA involvement unless they make a local call on enforcement of this proposed rule.

I also bought a 2000 C5 Vette last year with German Autobahn inspired, dealer installed Tiger Shark front and rear facias which actually weight slightly more than the stock bolt-on(s). Ekler Corvette still sells these, et al. Also some screens for fender openings, strakes and protection of oil coolers. The rear has a cleaner Euro stock look with a duck bob spoiler. Again no one locally cares about these 175mph aero features other than everyone I've met loves the look. Where will it go? BSP? Whoa, again end of SCCA involvement. Nobody with a bigger than 4 cylinder motor can go to ST where all this stuff is allowed?

If you care about anything in FASTRACK write your comments to: https://www.crbscca.com/

No skin off my nose as I'm 69 and have 6 Marquis Clubs to run with twice a month year round in FL. I just have a few good friends still running SCCA stock classes once a month for 6 local events/ year. I can always just show up for free as a guest and visit them.

Doug

[i
    Attachments
    rodhx

--
    28 Nov 2015 03:29 PM
    Just to be clear, both cars are already illegal for Street and Street Touring as they sit and from the tone of your post you know this. Yet you twice threaten the "end of SCCA involvement" if this proposed rule passes. I don't get the outage. The proposal changes nothing as far as your two cars are concerned. Just continue to run locally like you say you already do.

I think you may need to get the current rulebook. "Nobody with more than 4 cylinders can go to ST"? This isn't even remotely true. Your RX8 goes to STX and the C5 to STU, but body kits stopped being legal in ST several years ago. Also the RX8 is a DSP car.
    twistedwankel

--
    28 Nov 2015 05:11 PM
    No "outrage" in the least. Just a point of info for people with cosmetic or minor trim. I run my C5 with Michelin SS 300 wear tires:) I didn't buy my cars solely to race. Just sayin' these rule changes have a way of trickling down in the extreme sometimes. The CAM cars make a valid point in inclusion of all levels of build.

I'm thinking the way this rule is proposed enterprising souls will be able to easily hide corner weights as braces within the facias. I once observed a man disqualified at nationals for putting cement inside his spare tire for balance. Not sure how they found that?

I'm sure my RX-8 is perfectly National Level legal in C street under "current rules" and would not be affected as it sits. I know a couple people who run without the stock plastic engine cover which is probably protestable in the extreme. I put on a set of 9" rims and ran occasionally in STX for a couple years. I see your point.

It's unlikely the Board will care what a person of my generation says as the Millennials will be paying the SCCA forward not me.

In this age of replacing the movable headlights with fixed Halogens for appearance/performance that would be a shame to boot them off into some prepared class is all.

I will admit my cars being 12 and 16 years old NOS parts are getting harder to find so it's probably a moot point for me anymore.

drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Nov 2015 08:17 PM
    Really all this is a clarification of the recent "common sense repair" rule to more specifically state that bodywork fasteners can be upgraded or additional fasteners added. Although I do believe the rule is a little harsh - if a guy wants to pop rivets or wood screws to attach his bodywork, I don't see why the rule should outlaw that just because they might be visible.

I think "this allowance does not include any addition or removal of bodywork or addition of external bracing" would be more appropriate.
    rodhx

--
    29 Nov 2015 03:01 PM
    My main point was that the exterior mods you specifically mentioned in the original post are already either borderline (especially in Street) or specifically not allowed, especially the C5 body kit, and this proposed rule doesn't really change that. Twice saying you'll stop participating in SCCA events if this rule passes sounds like outage to me.

I disagree about no one caring what "your generation" might think. Last I checked there is no age component to writing a letter. Give it a shot. If you feel so strongly that you'll take your ball and go home then you should comment on the proposal.
    twistedwankel

--
    29 Nov 2015 03:36 PM
    Absolutely.
    I sent in my comments before I posted on the forum
    Figured others would have their own views and might not have gotten or read the latest FASTrack.

You are totally right no one is checking ages of respondents. Sadly the movers and shakers in our local unit are all long retired or getting close to it. Hard to get younger folks to commit time to the volunteer leadership roles and the old guys are burning out. But that's yet another discussion for another day. Shoving newbies into prepared classes isn't really good for recruiting. Mostly we try to have fun first and foremost to keep them coming back.

rodhx

--
    29 Nov 2015 08:24 PM
    Agreed. It's a fine line between being accommodating to the new folks and doing them, and our regular participants, a disservice by condoning improper car classification.
    twistedwankel

--
    30 Nov 2015 08:05 PM
    I feel a lot better about the SCCA as a whole after receiving an email from Doug Gill - Solo Competition Manager, tonight in re to a letter I sent the SEB regarding whom is responsible for determining classes and my own two car's eligibility to remain "street". It also addresses one of my main concerns of this allowance proposal that everyone would get booted to Prepared.

He wrote I could share it and so I will. This is almost exactly what I would expect the "Classing Rules" to be.

I won't be looking at Prepared Classes anytime soon. My faith in the SCCA leadership is redeemed once again.

Doug
    Attachments
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner