Sunoco 468x60 Banner
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 05 Dec 2015 01:23 PM by  Lethal_427
Need help figuring out tire choice Size Vs. Perf.?
 11 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Lethal_427
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
03 Dec 2015 01:24 PM
    Hello,

I am currently in a fully prepped ESP 4th Gen Camaro and possibly looking at playing around in CAM class this year at least locally.

What I am currently debating is which tire to go with. I know when it comes to running Hoosiers bigger is usually always better, but now the tires that I am looking at both do not come in the 315/30/18 size, I now have a tough decision to make.

I am looking a the Potenza RE71R in a 275/35/18 on a 10.5" wheel on front and back and also looking at the BFG G-force Rival S with a 315/30/18 on the same rims, which should I go with?

From what I gather, most people prefer the Potenza's over the BFG's, but would the wider BFG's be enough to overtake the performance of the Potenza's? I would be gaining roughly 1.5" in tread width over the Potenza's. Potenza's would save me a couple hundred dollars over the BFG's also.

Anyway, I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
    JJ
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    03 Dec 2015 04:33 PM
    From what I have seen, the difference between the RE71 and BFG Rival S seems to be more related to feel versus actual difference in overall grip with the Rival being much more vague. It also *seems* like on bog cars, the tires are more equal in performance, though that could be determined by size availability.

That said, I think I would do the 315 BFG in a heartbeat for your car. I can't see giving away that much size.

DaveW

drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Dec 2015 04:44 PM
    I agree, my statistical analysis showed that at Nationals at least, the Rival S were BETTER than the RE71R (in that BFG drivers took home a disproportionate amount of class wins and trophies in competitive street tire classes). In this case, where you get a lot more tire with the BFG's I think it's a no-brainer.

Also, while I agree that it seems like the BFG's work better on big cars, I think that its more the case that the Rival S has better availability in big sizes than the RE71R. My analysis showed that there wasn't really any statistical difference between "big car" and "small car" classes in tire success.
    ron
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Dec 2015 07:06 AM
    I ran the Rival S virtually all season and couldn't find a tenth of a second between them and the Dunlop star spec, but always ran the BFG for contingency. I switched to the RE 71 R and found a lot of time. The BFG does well when stretched on a rim otherwise the RE71 will prevail. All that being said I would wait o see what comes out next season as the RE71R is supposed to have many larger size offerings coming and the BFG will likely have another change to the tire.
    Lethal_427
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Dec 2015 10:45 AM

Posted By 47CP on 03 Dec 2015 04:33 PM
    From what I have seen, the difference between the RE71 and BFG Rival S seems to be more related to feel versus actual difference in overall grip with the Rival being much more vague. It also *seems* like on bog cars, the tires are more equal in performance, though that could be determined by size availability.

That said, I think I would do the 315 BFG in a heartbeat for your car. I can't see giving away that much size.

DaveW

I agree when you are talking about another 1.4" on the ground you would have to think that you will get more grip. Down side is that like you mentioned will lose feel. I started out with the original Rivals when I was in D stock and liked the grip, but when I went to the Dunlop Direzza II, it was amazing the grip and turn in felt so much better, but this was using the same size tires.

I know that Jacob Mueth had BFGs then went to the smaller RE71R's and said it was a noticeable difference between the two and that the Potenza was the better tire.

Cheers,
    JJ
    Lethal_427
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Dec 2015 10:48 AM

Posted By drdisque on 03 Dec 2015 04:44 PM
    I agree, my statistical analysis showed that at Nationals at least, the Rival S were BETTER than the RE71R (in that BFG drivers took home a disproportionate amount of class wins and trophies in competitive street tire classes). In this case, where you get a lot more tire with the BFG's I think it's a no-brainer.

Also, while I agree that it seems like the BFG's work better on big cars, I think that its more the case that the Rival S has better availability in big sizes than the RE71R. My analysis showed that there wasn't really any statistical difference between "big car" and "small car" classes in tire success.

My question for the Nationals statement would be, was it because BFG had contingency compared to the Bridgestone's?

I agree that most people with bigger cars put the biggest and best tire that was available which would be the BFG. It was definitely between BFG and Bridgestone for the best tires last year.

Cheers,
    JJ
    Lethal_427
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Dec 2015 10:56 AM

Posted By coneracer on 04 Dec 2015 07:06 AM
    I ran the Rival S virtually all season and couldn't find a tenth of a second between them and the Dunlop star spec, but always ran the BFG for contingency. I switched to the RE 71 R and found a lot of time. The BFG does well when stretched on a rim otherwise the RE71 will prevail. All that being said I would wait o see what comes out next season as the RE71R is supposed to have many larger size offerings coming and the BFG will likely have another change to the tire.

When I was at nationals this last year, I talked with Bridgestone guys at their trailer and asked about tire sizes coming out for this year. Unfortunately, they said that they would probably not produce any bigger tires this year and concentrate on filling in the gaps in smaller sizes for a lot of other cars.

I think they are missing a HUGE market by not producing at least a 315 series tire for all of the muscle cars, Optima challenge cars, CAM series, Corvettes, etc. I really hope what your saying will be true and that they will come out with a larger tire for this year. I am going to hold off on getting tires till late Feb. early March timeframe, to wait and see what the tire manufacturers have in store for us this year!

Cheers,
    JJ
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Dec 2015 01:07 PM
    Yes contingency may have something to do with it as more top drivers chose BFG for the contingency as they were more confident in their ability to actually win contingency, but the numbers speak for themselves.

48% of competitive drivers in competitive street tire classes on BFG's won trophies compared to only 29% of Bridgestone drivers.
    ron
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Dec 2015 01:56 PM
    Got some BFG's I'd be happy to sell you then since the numbers mean everything, but I'll stay with the bridgstone was .9 faster on them.
    Ron Williams
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Dec 2015 03:57 PM
    I'm not making an argument for or against any tire - I will be running Bridgestones next year (although that's partially because BFG doesn't make a suitable rear tire for my car, so it's not really an option and there were literally no BFG cars in FS at Nationals).

I'm just saying that the tire can't be that bad if they won such a disporportionately large number of trophies. It's possible that really good drivers are able to get the most out of the BFG but mere mortals like us aren't.

I have heard several people say that the "The two tires have similar total grip, but RE71R is easier to drive faster and feels better"
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Dec 2015 05:05 PM
    Also, BFG did specific testing with respect to rubbered-in Lincoln concrete, which I would suspect gives them a leg up on the competition in Lincoln specifically. That, along with BFG's great support of our sport lead to a lot of top-level autocrossers running them. As for general use elsewhere, the spring rate of the two tires is significantly different due to sidewall thickness which plays into which is better on a given car. As does availability of wide tires: anyone who needed wide sizes went RivalS whether they preferred the BFG or not.
    Lethal_427
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 Dec 2015 01:23 PM

Posted By coneracer on 04 Dec 2015 01:56 PM
    Got some BFG's I'd be happy to sell you then since the numbers mean everything, but I'll stay with the bridgstone was .9 faster on them.
    Ron Williams

Was that on the same size tire or did you have to go down in size for the RE71R? If so, what size tires did you run with the BFG's compared to the RE71R's?

Cheers,
    JJ
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner