Trailer length recommendations for a Mustang
 4 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Fastie

--
24 Jan 2016 10:19 PM

Wanted to start a post that isn't as much a commercial as a true discussion about car haulers and trailers.  I know many on the site maybe in my situation that have some experience with trailers, but could use more from the trailering veterans on the site.

Open vs. enclosed, applications, wheel/tire size, tilt versus non tilt, steel versus aluminum, etc.

Aluminum versus Steel

Besides the obvious weight savings as an advantage, what are the disadvantages of aluminum trailer besides obvious cost?

Tilt versus non-tilt

What are the advantages and dis-advantages of tilt trailers - what do most prefer?  How do you install a wench on a tilt model for a disabled car?

Wheel/tire size

Are most OK with 14" wheel/tire packages, should we go with 15" for availability of tires?  Thoughts on this?

Trailer length

My principal question I have now is length of a trailer for a late model mustang - was thinking 18 foot, but should I go longer?

Please add any other thoughts or wisdom you may have to help us and those who have specific trailer questions - here is your post to respond and ask. ( I prefer not to get into a brand discussion here, but prefer more info about use and experience with functions we should look for in a trailer.  Ok to mention some brand info, just avoid the advertising if possible.)

47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    25 Jan 2016 09:48 AM
    I have towed a lot of trailers a lot of miles, which gives me a lot of opinions. Take them for what you paid. :)

Open vs. Closed: I have gone back and forth and currently have an enclosed. I really, really, really like it. However, an enclosed really ramps up the the need for a adequate tow vehicle. My 2011 F150 barely felt my open trailer behind it, but you don't forget that the enclosed is back there..

Aluminum: I have never had an aluminum trailer. Aluminum looks very nice and seems to generally be a high end trailer. Within reason, the overall weight of the trailer doesn't make that much difference in how it tows compared to its wind resistance profile, so I probably wouldn't spend the extra money just to save weight, but I might to get better features.

Tilt: I have never had a tilt either, but I used a friends once. But it looks pretty slick and I have seen them with winches mounted on the tilt part. In general, if you have a low car, open trailer and ramps are a severe pain in the butt, so if a tilt trailer with a set of race ramps gets your car up there, go for it.

Wheels/Tires: Trailer tires suck big time. They are even worse when loaded near capacity, which if you look at tire ratings, especially on enclosed, can easily happen. I would lean towards 15" tires because they are so easy to find, though I used 13" on my open trailer to get it lower. If your trailer and car were light enough to use LT tires, I think there is a big benefit.

Length: For an open 16-18" should be fine for a Mustang. You might want more if you are going to have tool boxes or whatever. For enclosed, 18-20 will be pretty full of mustang.

All IMO,

DaveW

Fastie

--
    25 Jan 2016 10:04 AM
    DaveW - good recommendations thanks. I am leaning towards a steel tilt model I found in the mid-west just looking into transport costs to get it too me. I think the features of a tilt help since I hate moving ramps out of storage and placing them on trailer. If I was younger, I wouldn't mind as much. As far as Aluminum, that is great advice about wind resistance, didn't think about that. Since my tow vehicle is a basic Chevy truck, I think enclosed is out for now. Thanks again for your response.
    dkmura

--
    01 Feb 2016 10:03 PM

I towed an open trailer with a old Dodge van for more than a few years. Learned one lesson during those years. There are only two kinds of people: those who have an enclosed trailer and those who want one. I now tow with a Nissan Titan, using a weight distributing hitch on a 24' enclosed trailer. I race a Nissan 350Z in Touring 1 and 3.  

Fastie

--
    01 Feb 2016 11:27 PM
    maybe in the future, with rallycross and the dirt and all - im going open for now. thanks for advice though. ordering this week its an Aluma or a Sur-Track. trying to decide cost benefit to price for aluminum versus steel now - tough call.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner