Paint protection..
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Matth3w

--
07 Feb 2016 01:08 PM
    I see a lot of people advocating for simply some elbow grease and WD40. I'm fairly cool with that, but if you wanted to step it up a notch, just use painter's tape to be sure? I also found this (http://www.roadwarriorplus.com/cate.../1513.htm) but unsure of people's experiences with it. I hear the 3M spray on gets pretty terrible reviews.

I just bought a 2016 ND Miata (and added coilovers, FSB/RSB, endlinks, ECU flash/header, & wider wheels/tires) has <1000 miles on it, and I'd like to keep it pretty nice for at least awhile. I know I'll start off locally in their Rookie class then move to STR.

My intent is to drive slowly through the course and have fun. However, with the mods/car above, I'm afraid I'll do that for the first ten seconds and move on lol
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    07 Feb 2016 04:03 PM
    Most people just take the cone hits and clean them off later; some people use gumout, but I use magic eraser. If you have a good coat of wax on your car, cone marks usually come out pretty easy. You can put painters tape on if you want (some people do), but paint damage from cone hits is relatively rare. I've hit countless cones in my Porsches over the last 7 years and have yet to have a cone mark that didn't clean right off the next time I wash/wax it.

Just whatever you do, don't drive slowly ;)
    Matth3w

--
    07 Feb 2016 04:21 PM
    Haha, I might try the roadwarrior stuff anyhow, due to rocks and dust (the trim pieces are gloss black). You're probably right, but if it's an easy on and off, it's worth trying at least once, especially in the beginning when I'm probably more likely to hit a cone :(
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    07 Feb 2016 04:45 PM
    As far as cones, don't sweat it, they're a part of autocross. If anything, I'd say most novices hit far fewer cones than more experienced drivers do. The fastest driving line through any autocross course is so close that you will bobble every cone in the slalom and other key cones. The rule of thumb is that every foot off a slalom cone is .2 seconds: drive 2' wide through a 5-cone slalom (typical novice mistake) and you've just cost yourself 2 seconds! Consequently, you'll find the fastest drivers are just inches off those cones. Slip angle also comes into play; cranking the steering wheel the same amount is going to give different amounts of actual steering depending how fast you're going just due to how the tire rubber deforms under load. As drivers get experience and start driving closer to the limit, it's often harder to hold that precise 1"-off-the-cone line, especially for tight offsets where you're threading a needle with very little margin of error left or right.

So, if you're not occasionally hitting a cone, you're either too far from the cones or not driving fast enough :)

If you're worried, roadwarrior should work well, but it's overkill for autocross. Makes more sense on the track where a lot of debris is getting kicked up at triple-digit speeds. This isn't an ad, just the first time I saw someone using it (at VIR). Looked like underbody coating when it went on, and he said it just peeled right off. He also said it falls off if it's raining.
    Matth3w

--
    07 Feb 2016 07:50 PM
    Makes sense. I think I'm going to try the coat, and I definitely know I will be pushing the limits of the car as soon as I get moderately comfortable....
    PSIxGEO

--
    15 Mar 2016 12:30 PM
    clear plasti-dip can help too..or cheap clear bra strips from fleabay
    datawiz

--
    30 Mar 2016 04:27 PM
    I've used clear contact paper (shelf paper) from Home Depot MANY times in the past. I also frequently use black vinyl that I purchase from online sign shops. My car is black, so I buy black vinyl. You can get it in just about any color.

Or, you could just wrap the whole car like I did on my other car. :)
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner