Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R (0)
     0%
    Hankook Ventus R-S3 V2 (0)
     0%
    Kumho Ecsta V720 (0)
     0%
    Yokohama Neova AD08 R (0)
     0%
    What is the best 200+ Tread Wear tire for wet conditions including standing water?
    The Continental ExtremeContact DW looks pretty good in the wet. Anything better?
    twistedwankel

--
    16 Feb 2016 03:13 PM
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...p?ttid=202 According to their data the Rival S is king overall? Depends on your needs.

The Conti DW is a 340wear tire, I find them stiff walled wears like iron until autocrossed is greatest in rain til the "W" is gone. They do not like a lot of negative camber and toe out when pushed hard. After only 35 runs on concrete over 4 events the rears of my RX8 are worn evenly to 6/32" @ -1.3d camber 1/16" toe in, but the fronts with -1.8d camber and 1/8" toe out are worn to 6/32" outside and 3-4/32" inside. These tires are so stiff they just won't roll over. 245/40/18 x 8" stock rims. I took a 3000 mile trip when new with 1/32" negligible wear. They now have 3650 miles and I will rotate them to even the fronts back out. I might get 100 runs out of them which means the savings upfront over Hankook R-S3's is moot as they easily lasted 150 runs previously and are only $100 more a set and were great in the rain and not noisy. The latest test by Tirerack of the top 4 - 200 wear tires said they are all competent Rain tires. A couple are extremely noisy so off my list. That leaves me with Hankook or Dunlops for next purchase for that car.
    The jury is still out in testing phase for 240 wear Toyo T1 Sports on my C5. Great in rain I think better than the Michelin PSS's I had before that which cost twice as much. I've only put 545 miles on them, 27 concrete autocross runs at airport and they are wearing evenly between 7-8/32". Impossible to guess how many runs I'll get or if they will ever be competitive with top 200 tires? They are available from a local Toyo dealer installed for $640 on my C5. Right now I'm about .5 second behind my nemesis in AS 911 awd who has new Hankook r-S3's. I looked them up on Tirerack and I can get a set of Hankooks 245/40/17 and 275/35/18 delivered for $830 ouch. But I'm pretty sure they'll last all season. They changed the compound too like the other guys.

sbarton

--
    16 Feb 2016 03:35 PM
    According to this review, the wet slalom, lap times, braking, and g-forces are better for the DW than the Rival S in the wet. Obviously different days/conditions, but still. Pretty significant. Anyone have actual wet comparison test of the DW's vs Rival S or RE71R?
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...p?ttid=140
    ron
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 Feb 2016 01:57 PM
    RE71R set fastest wet times of all cars in D Street at nationals on a Mini. Ran the Continentals on my civic and they were great in standing water and were considerably slower than the wet times as it dried to non puddles. BFG is terrible at highway speeds in the wet don't know about autocross speeds.
    Z3papa
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 Feb 2016 07:22 PM
    For all you folks that think that Rival S is better than the RE71-R's in the wet, I'd really look forward to you running in my class. Full thread or even 30 run BS will blow the Rival S away.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner