6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Monte0704

--
07 Mar 2016 02:55 PM
    Hey guys.

AutoX season is upon us, and I'm trying to find a class to build my 1990 R32 GTR in.

Because it's a JDM car, not designed for the states, I'm pretty sure we fall under A-Modified. Which sucks, because it's my street car.

It's completely stock, except for Coilovers, and a new ECU and tune, which dials the boost up.

Other than that, 4 seats, with 4 belts, and full OEM interior.

The locals let me run SM this last weekend, and the car was very competitive with some SM WRX STI's.

I was hoping someone could shed some light on where I can run.

I want to go Spherical bushings on the suspension, and change turbos for some A/M ones.

I want to run 10" wide rims front and rear, as the car is AWD.

I don't want to run a mod class, because I haven't done anything to warrant that. I don't want to strip my interior.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    07 Mar 2016 09:32 PM
    Per my discussion with a prominent member of the national office, JDM cars are only legal for AM, unless there is a US Equivalent with the same body style, in which case they can run in DM or EM.

So you could never run a national event in any class other than AM.

I feel that SM at the local level is the appropriate classing for this car.
    Monte0704

--
    07 Mar 2016 10:07 PM
    Why would they do that? I just don't understand the reasoning behind it.

I don't want to be forced into a modified class when the car isn't even close to competitive.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Mar 2016 01:53 AM
    Basically they don't want to be in a position where the "car to have" in a given class intended for street cars, is a difficult to obtain fairly rare car that wasn't even sold in the US. They also don't want to open the can of worms of having to worry about every car ever sold in the entire world. They have enough trouble with US-market cars as it is.

I however, agree that perhaps these cars should be allowed in XP. I think it is a rule that will eventually get changed as more and more cool fast JDM cars become available in the US under the 25 year rule. With the way that exotic cars are currently dominating XP, I don't see that this would cause too much of an issue.
    Monte0704

--
    08 Mar 2016 04:33 AM
    Yeah, I could see XP being okay, but you would pretty much have to import a rare JDM car and ruin it to be compeitive.

SM would allow me to stay competitive and still enter the car in shows and stuff, like a true Street Modified car should be.
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    08 Mar 2016 06:52 AM
    Above all else, we like seeing awesome cars and that's a big motivation to let you run :) Cool that your club is letting you run in SM despite being technically not eligible, but SSM would be more appropriate since that's where the US spec GTRs and other budget supercars run.
    Sportmax69

--
    12 Apr 2016 02:04 PM
    Yea sorry but JDM cars are not legal for SCCA competition. We have written the board many times and its something that wont change and I finally understand why, see other responses above.

I ran my R32 in SM back in the day when I had it, most regions are fine with you running SM. I did find a loop hole to run SSM but I guarantee if you actually do well enough at a National event you will get protested. I took my JDM AE86 to Nationals in 2014 but I was in the bottom 1/3 of the class so no one cared. But if you do run SSM be ready to go up against some Nasty light weight high powered cars!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner