First Auto X Car -- Need Opinions
 7 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
j.pavulon

--
21 Mar 2016 12:39 AM
    So as the title says, i'm looking for my first autox car...

My budget is $5000 and the wife has only put 1 real rule on the choice.
    It must have a back seat in case of me having to pick up the kids in an emergency. I'm looking to drive it to work randomly as well as on the track is the reasoning behind this...

So far I'm looking for a suitable candidate in one of these vehicles and would like the opinions of what direction to go if i'm able to find a vehicle in my range. If I'm leaving out any vehicles with a back seat, please let me know!

I'd prefer to drive a 2.5rs impreza but am having trouble finding that. Other than that, these are my options
    1) Acura RSX
    2) Acura RSX Type-S (not sure which RSX would be better for gearing)
    3) Nissan 240sx
    4) Mini Cooper
    5) Integra GSR (my least favorite choice in the group)

As far as vehicle background, I've owned honda's growing up: 92 Accord, 91 Integra, 01 Prelude and then purchased an '06 WRX. With me still owing money on the WRX and it being my only vehicle i'm not willing to put it out on the track. I'm looking at running something fairly stock in either the stock or street touring (i think?) class... please let me know your thoughts!
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    21 Mar 2016 12:37 PM
    240SXes are overpriced and uncompetitively classed in streetable trim.

The RSX Type S can be competitive in HS or STF, but they're a lot more fun in STF (since you can fix some of the suspension geometry issues). The S is a better car than the base, even though the gearing is a little worse. It's also sort of hard to find a base car with a manual.

Pre 2014 Mini Cooper is a good HS or STF car as well. Very good support either way you go with that car.

It's impossible to find an Integra these days that hasn't been completely riced out at some point. Modifications put it in STS where it is pretty outclassed.
    ktronic

--
    24 Mar 2016 10:47 AM
    What I did late last year was comb through the 2015 Nationals results and look for cheap cars.

You should add the 2002-2005 "EP3" Civic Si to that list. Not as much top end power as the RSX-S, but still won STF. They are relatively cheap as well.

The Subaru 2.5RS is probably never going to win GS or ST*(wherever it's classed), but would also be my preference, for overall fun, utility, and classic styling. As you know they are rare, overpriced, and often rusty. But they are out there. You'd want a 2000-2001 model which has rear LSD.
    Tim Irwin
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Mar 2016 12:16 PM
    Especially as it's your first autocross car, stick the $5k (plus extra insurance and ownership costs) in the bank to cover any damage that might happen to the WRX and run that. There is (always) a chance you'll damage the car in autocross, but most of us consider that chance lower than driving to the event. The guaranteed costs of an extra car are probably much higher than the chance of damage to the WRX.

As for the kid pickup thing, your mileage may vary, but I'm probably not the right guy to ask as I sold a 4 door Integra to buy a Miata when we had 5 mo/old and 22 mo/old kids in the house (and it worked for about 7 years).
    ktronic

--
    24 Mar 2016 02:08 PM
    ^that's a very good point, I overlooked that part of the original post.
    I would personally just run the 06 WRX in DS or STX. It won't be nationally competitive in either class, but would be fun at least, and maybe locally competitive. I wouldn't worry about breaking anything catastrophically with stock or STX-legal power other than wearing out the clutch faster from launching.
    If you are worried about damage to the car from an accident during an autox or track day, there is supplemental insurance out there that covers these kind of events, too.
    j.pavulon

--
    03 Apr 2016 01:41 AM
    Thanks for all the input guys. I had some issues logging back into the site so it took me a while to respond. I didn't want you to think your advice had fallen onto deaf ears. Running the WRX is pretty out of the question, I would be in SM as I'm running an external wastegate and full protune among plenty of other mods that would class me there. I did end up finding an rsx s 02 w 200k for 2500. The current plan is to throw brakes and tires at it and drive it in the 4 events I can make it to this summer. Learn the car and then start modding the suspension according to my needs. From what ive seen/read and the budget I would like to keep the build, it seemed street touring would be a fairly fun/competitive build level to end up in next season...
    ron
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    05 Apr 2016 04:21 PM
    Already built sts civic would be the cheapest and most fun of the bunch and always competitive.
    cretinx

--
    01 Aug 2016 02:56 PM
    Miata
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner