Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
David Pintaric
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
23 Apr 2010 10:20 PM

In most (if not all) states, the RV and trailer limit is anywhere from 65 to 70 feet in combined vehicle length.

So, in a state where the max length is 65 feet, a 40' Class A + a 24' tag (24' box with a 4' tongue) is going to be too long by 3 feet. In turn, a 33' toter home with a 40' stacker is going to be 8 feet too long.

So what happens when you get pulled over and the officer measures the combined vehicle length? A fine? Or is a CDL required? And if a CDL is required to drive an RV/trailer combination that exceeds the length limits, do you have to "act" like a CDL driven truck and stop at weight stations and keep a driver's log?

Thanks in advance.

marka
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    24 Apr 2010 06:13 PM

Howdy,

I have a 38' MH and a 24' trailer. I'm 68' bumper to bumper, IIRC, which means I'm illegal in PA and other places with a 65' or less total length limit.

I've never seen a "You can do it, but you need a CDL" exemption... I think being over length is being over length regardless of license grade, but different states have different rules (and may not have reciprocity, so it may not matter that I'm legal in OH), so do your own research.

I've not talked to an RV'er that's been caught over length, so I don't know what the punishment is. The impression I get is that this isn't something the cops / DOT folks are looking for.

Mark

Joe_914
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    26 Apr 2010 06:38 AM
    I am going to watch thtis thread as well. We are pulling some pretty long stuff here too. Never measured but I suspect we are at the limit or close to it.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner