Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
christoc
I'm an Admin
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
03 Apr 2016 09:21 PM

So today was the first St. Louis Region SCCA Event for 2016, holy cow, quite the turnout! Anyone know when STL last had an autocross of that size? Lots of new folks, hope they come back!

I must admit, I wasn't thrilled that we went with 6 runs based on the turnout (that being said, I didn't actually mind being onsite until 6pm as I thought i would), but I think things ran pretty smoothly for the first event of the year. I know there were some timing issues as people get used to new work assignments and such. 

To the Reeses (spelling?, the Grand Prix) if you read this, I hope you guys get that Grand Prix fixed and come back to the event on the 17th. It was great seeing you get that big boat moving around on the course, and while I am sure it pains you beyond imagine to have had the issue you did today, I really hope you guys make it back out soon!

I'm going through some photos I took, will get  a link here later tonight, along with video of my fastest run once I get things edited.

Event 1 Heat 1 Photos (48 photos, if you don't see 48, they are still uploading)

Hammond Fastest Run (43.456)

What did everyone else think?

Autolex

--
    03 Apr 2016 09:56 PM

Course drove like a "Pain and Gain" style to me, really liked it actually. There were several elements i was impressed at how quickly i could run them (specifically the sweeper into the offsets, the Harris/Poeling CP car was REALLY carrying speed there).

Fastest Run on 500tw all seasons: https://youtu.be/CoitmNHw9Oo

Kudos to everyone trying to keep things moving, 138 registered is NO JOKE.
    MINIz guy

--
    03 Apr 2016 10:01 PM
    https://youtu.be/zSKJDBbtN7A

Really liked the course, but man was it bumpy!
    kyoo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Apr 2016 10:05 PM
    in for heat 1 pics!!! :D
    KCSVT

--
    03 Apr 2016 10:55 PM
    Today was my first time at a St. Louis event and I was really impressed. It was a fun course, met some great people, and I hope I get to join you guys again. Thanks for making a newbie feel welcome.
    TD53
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Apr 2016 11:10 PM
    Here's my fast run (44.004): https://youtu.be/qOYhQEiytGM

Kyle's fast run (44.276): https://youtu.be/QMhZJV8hKqs
    christoc
    I'm an Admin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    03 Apr 2016 11:16 PM
    Pics from Heat 1 uploading now (48 total)
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/chamm...4445672894
    gilligan156
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Apr 2016 12:20 AM
    I said in the other thread, but I'll say again, I had a GREAT time out there today. The course was a ton of fun, the weather was beautiful, and it was amazing to finally take the Miata to the track after working on it all winter. The car is so much fun to drive. I'm suuuper excited for my RE71Rs to come in, assuming that Bridgestone actually sends them someday. The all-season tires I used today were just not cutting it!

I posted this to the other thread but here's me spinning out in run 1:

aaaand here's my GoPro flying off my head during my rerun run:

I'll edit a real video once the times are posted so I can annotate accurately. I got some great footage!

Also Chris, those pictures are AMAZING! Thank you for taking them and sharing!
    gidtup
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    04 Apr 2016 08:54 AM
    CONGRATS ST. LOUIS - Great Attendance! Here is a bit of trivia from the years of the Solo Program
    ATTENDANCE St. Louis Region Solo Program by Year
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016
    163 131 132 92 104 126 158 114 79 94 138
    John P
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Apr 2016 10:28 AM

First off a big thank you to Sean Greer for letting me co-drive on Sunday!  We had to park the CM car when an oil pressure (or sender) issue showed up on the when Lynn and I were warming it in the morning; unfortunate but that is the mod game.

That first run in the big bad CRX was an adventure!   It is a handful of a car - fast, but hard to drive fast.  People have told me about cars where you can't lift/late brake, but this was by far the most sensitive; though it does reward you when you get it right.

That first corner was brutal - coming into the bumpy entry out of the left into that sharp over 90 deg. right seemed impossible to get correct.  I was never happy with any of my runs out of there.

Here is my best run 44.347s - yes I know I took the wrong line around the sweeper around the audio tower.  I locked up the brakes on entry and missed my entry :(

https://youtu.be/vognMR_iC80
    96SM2
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    04 Apr 2016 10:28 AM
    I just want to say thanks to everyone who got there early and stayed late to get everything set up/ tore down and put away. Your dedication is much appreciated.
    Some good driving performances yesterday but not from me, coned fastest runs.

edit: When I changed from r-comps to daily drivers this morning I found where on the car I was hitting the cones outside of the obvious ones on the first 2 runs as the tires came in. 2 slight scuff marks on the right rear tire (run 5&6) and 1 a little more solid (run 4) are  my guesses.  If this keeps up, camera on the right side of the car to track what is going on and maybe one inside to watch my hands.

flyguy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Apr 2016 03:11 PM

As Andy noted,a very long day for the event organizers and staff that made it all work despite numerous challenges. Thanks to everyone who came out and supported the event - one of the highest attended events in the last several years. Hopefully it will become the norm.

Before someone asks about results,it's going to be awhile. When the suspension collapsed on the Grand Prix,evidently numerous (well meaning) people rushing to help clean up the shrapnel went through the timing lights in rapid succession which probably contributed to Axware crashing. All of the reults for the first half of heat 3 were lost and have to be re-entered manually from the master log. Best guess is late Wednesday or sometime Thursday. 

cumminsd07

--
    05 Apr 2016 05:06 PM
    Just want to say sorry for the delay during third heat. We thank you all for being understanding and helping us out. Probably the worst day to have that happen with 130 plus people doing six runs but stuff happens. Again. We are sorry and the Pontiac is getting put back together tonight with moog parts. Not sure if the young driver will make it back this year, it was a traumatic experience for him. Hopefully he'll hop back on the saddle. Thanks again for your help and understanding.
    Jake steward
    Tbru599

--
    05 Apr 2016 08:35 PM
    I don't think I heard anybody being upset about the Grand Prix breaking. Everybody was very willing to help and he was clearly upset about it as anybody in his position would be. Hopefully he'll get it all fixed up and come back for another event. I know everybody would love to see him back!
    96SM2
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    06 Apr 2016 10:20 AM
    The only things I heard were concerns for the driver and hoping the car wasn't hurt too bad. Hope he gets over the trauma and gives it another shot.
    96SM2
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    06 Apr 2016 10:30 AM
    As a starter Sunday, I had more than a couple instances where people were not ready when I told them to go. Please pull up to the line ready to go. Have your helmet buckled, if you have to turn on camera/ data acquisition, please do it when the car in front of you leaves the line. Be ready to launch when the starter says GO. Sometimes, and Sunday was one of those days, release timing is important to safely running the event.
    Thanks.
    gilligan156
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Apr 2016 01:22 PM
    I certainly hope the Grand Prix driver isn't too emotionally scarred, nobody judged him! This is racing and things like this can and do happen and it could happen to any of us. Last year one of my friends that I brought out drove his 240sx off the tarmac and into the muddy drainage ditch on his first day, so it could be worse :)

Anyway, I edited my runs down into a video. I know my driving looks really sloppy and I wasn't competitive in my class; I'm going to blame it 80% on the fact that I'm on tires designed to be safe in the snow (yes Sean, I ordered the RE71Rs over a month ago and they still haven't come in...) and 20% on not being totally used to the Miata yet. Still had a blast and I think the footage came out great.

sgreer78
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    06 Apr 2016 09:18 PM
    Posted By Andy Hohl on 06 Apr 2016 10:30 AM
    As a starter Sunday, I had more than a couple instances where people were not ready when I told them to go. Please pull up to the line ready to go. Have your helmet buckled, if you have to turn on camera/ data acquisition, please do it when the car in front of you leaves the line. Be ready to launch when the starter says GO. Sometimes, and Sunday was one of those days, release timing is important to safely running the event.
    Thanks.

This.

Several time I told people to go and they weren't paying attention so I had to hold them. Very small window for release. That small window for release is what got us 6 runs, so it's important. 

rtp.rick
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    07 Apr 2016 05:49 PM

As the other starter, I'll add that just 10 seconds difference in launch interval translates to adding almost 23 minutes to the event's run time.  Launch interval is one of the most important aspects of an efficient event, that and turnaround between heats.  I must say, Sunday's turnarounds went much better than I expected.  Great work by everyone.

H's & K's,
    Rick Ruth

java_osborn
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    07 Apr 2016 09:53 PM

Good Reverse Smack Talk :)

I liked the course, I could have used a few more HP in the TA.  I loved slip sliding around the last few corners where the pavement was rough. 

I loved the cone just before the first sharp corner, it caused that corner to eat your lunch if you did not slow down and pay your respects.

As always the courses will get harder as the season goes on and I am 100% focused on looking ahead this year.  If I learn nothing else, I will learn to look ahead :).

Great event over all, but although we did not have any control over the length of heat 3 (after we decided on 6 runs), I did hear some grumblings about how long they had to stand out there on the course.  First, I hope it does not discourage any new drivers that may think that is the norm.  Also, that was on a cool day so my point is that I would be sensitive to that when we have record turn outs in the future (like July).

Over all very positive first event!!!!  Good Job to All!!! :)

Jeff 

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner