Helmets - Splain it to me like I'm 9
 1 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
tdeutsch

--
12 Apr 2016 12:04 PM
    Newbie here. Novice to autocross - 1 event at end of last season. Had a blast!
    Until I find my autocross car of choice (debating internally among a Triumph GT6, Miata, Fiero or MR2) I am using my daily driver 2013 Toyota TC with a spare set of wheels. (I just can't admit I bought a Scion, for some reason - maybe it's because I'm not 19?)
    Anyhoo ... If I am reading the rules correctly, I can get an open face or full face Snell 2010 (either SA or M) helmet and that should last me until 2020 at least (or at most?)?
    If I do a PDX event at MidOhio, would any of those helmets still be fine or would it have to be SA at that point and/or closed face? I've been to the rules pages - they have left me confused. Looking for relatively, casually correct, real-world answers - not engineer specifications. This brain does not work that way.
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    12 Apr 2016 02:54 PM

Helmets meeting the following standards must be worn while on course:
    All helmets meeting the latest or two immediately preceding Snell Foundation
    standards (SA2015, SA2010, SAH2010, SA2005, SA2000, M2015, M2010,
    M2005, M2000, K2015, K2010, K2005, K98); SFI standards 31.1, 41.1, 31.1A,
    31.2A, 41.1A, 41.2A; ECE R22.05; FIA standards 8859-2015, 8860-2010, 8860-
    2004; or British spec BS6658-85 type A are acceptable.
    Full face or modular helmets shall be worn while competing in an open-wheel
    car, formula car, or kart. Face shield, goggles, or similar face protection (conventional
    eyeglasses are not sufficient) shall be worn while competing in any
    other vehicle with less than the standard-size windshield.
    Formula Junior drivers must use helmets meeting the above, SFI 24.1 (Youth
    Helmets), Snell CMR2007 (Children’s Motorsports Restricted), or Snell
    CMS2007 (Children’s Motorsports Standard) specifications. Also, Formula
    Junior helmets must be of closed face design incorporating full face shields
    and chin bars.
    For maximum protection, helmets must fit securely and should provide adequate
    peripheral vision. The chin strap must be securely fastened. Loaner
    helmets should be available to vehicle occupants not having their own.

Disclaimer - I own Solo Performance and we sell helmets!

It is a little confusing...

If you have an open wheel car or kart, you have to wear full face. Everyone else can wear whatever they want, open or closed but if your windshield is not stock sized in a convertible, you would be required to have eye protection that you would want to have anyway.

A Snell 2010 would be good until the 2025 standard is released.

There are basically very few/no open face M rated inexpensive helmets. If you go M rated, you would want to go with full face. HJC CL-17 is one of our most popular and runs around $125-ish.

Some track events allow M rated and some do not. Personally, if I thought I might be going on track in the near future, I would probably step up to an SA rated helmet out of the gate and that way you are always covered. SA2015 Open face are around at $150-ish, $175 for entry level full face. There are still a few SA2010 closeouts available as well for very good prices.

HTH,

DaveW
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner