Dodge Dart in STX?
 5 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jj2218

--
16 Apr 2016 04:47 PM
    I'm wondering if I missed something regarding the Dart. The 1.4T and 2.4 NA are in STX. I doubt either one would be competitive even in STF. Is there a reason they are in STX? Do they have some hidden potential?
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    18 Apr 2016 12:17 PM
    It probably wouldn't be an issue to get it reclassed into STS.

The STAC seems loathe to put any turbocharged cars into STF.

Also, the OE tires are 225's on the upper trim levels, which means that it could easily accomodate 245's in all likelihood. That's possibly why it was classed in STX, so that you can use more tire than would be allowed in STF or STS.
    jj2218

--
    18 Apr 2016 08:40 PM
    OK, thanks. I think there are several turbo cars that should be there. Sonic turbo, ecoboost 1.0 fiesta and dart 1.4. Maybe even the 3 cylinder mini, and non-abarth turbo 500.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    18 Apr 2016 10:17 PM
    I think that the STAC doesn't like turbo cars because it's so easy to cheat with them (piggyback's are legal but there's no easy way to know whether you've raised the boost or not and under certain interpretations of the rules - on cars that use a "power output table" vs. a "boost table" it's legal to raise boost). Thus I feel like they are classing every turbo car 1 class harder than they would normally be classed as a penalty against potential cheaters to dissuade them from using that car.
    jj2218

--
    19 Apr 2016 12:31 PM
    Hmmm, seems like they should find a way then to level the playing field since the STF cars seem to be hand picked for the class. Turbo cars could be restricted to 205 series tires and a minimum weight and let the boost be modified anyway. Or assign lower minimum weights for hopeless cars like the passat 8v, and let them go outside of the rules to reach that minimum weight. I guess my thought is that it would be fun to get a bigger spread of cars on a level playing field.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20 Apr 2016 01:21 PM
    The philosophy of the ST classes is that they should still be completely streetable.

The concept of allowing uncompetitive cars additional prep in order to be competitive is completely counter to the class philosophy.

Restricting turbo cars to 205's would also be a non-starter since it's narrower than stock for a lot of the cars in question.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner