You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
t walgamuth
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
17 Apr 2016 05:40 PM

This is the legendary YC-3 built by Del Long in 2002.

It is a six time national champ with Cashmore driving, two runner ups as well when various problems intruded, three Ladies championships at the hand of Denise Cashmore and too many national tour victories and podiums to list.

It is a Lotus 7 replica chassis CMC built with an Acura K20 A2 engine, a two speed Toyota Corolla tranny (3 and 4 plus R, 1 and 2 were taken off the shafts to save weight) and a Winters quick change circle trac rear end with at least 6 ratios available (change gearing in 15 minutes). The brakes all have willwood aluminum calipers and lightweight rotors. The clutch is a single disc racing clutch. Flywheel is aluminum.

The engine let go at the end of the first run of the second day at Nationals last year. Although others posted faster second day times they were unable to beat Jeff Cashmore's time on the aggregate.

We have rebuilt the motor with Brian Crower sportsman rods replacing the scats at 100 grams lighter per rod. The pistons are now 13.5s vs last years 12.5 CR Mahle. New springs, retainers and BC cams. The engine is set up to run E 85. It puts out about 250 hp at the flywheel with a lovely flat torque curve which makes it easy to launch. Shifting is optional on most courses. The quick change allows it to be fine tuned for the course for optimal urge without getting into the rev limiters. About 9000 rpm usable.

The YC-3 is a pussycat around the pits, idling like a stocker, and with a mild clutch and the fat torque curve it is a piece of cake to launch like a rocket sled.  It is a real rush to drive.   However, I am 67 years old and although I ran a lot last year I never really mastered this car. I have concluded that I won't ever master it. It deserves a faster driver. I'd like to recoup most of my investment if possible and move back to a milder car that I can make best use of with my not improving skills.

Car includes three extra sets of Real rims with tires mounted. Two sets of tires with low runs on them are mounted plus an oldish set of treaded rains. Six new Hoosiers won at nationals are included four mounted and two rears in the box.

Lots of "spare" parts included.

$27,500, will consider Formula ford trade if it has a Honda engine with an alternator. Also will consider a Lotus Elise trade. I'll consider any reasonable offer.

I will run it until sold, developing it as we run. There are some parts which can be lightened here and there and I'd love to add some downforce to the front and rear.

I have a nice 26' x 8.5 Haulmark enclosed trailer with one season on new tires. The trailer has two lights inside plus a lot of tie down tracks. $5000.

765 49zero zero 275, twalgamuth(at)comcast.netTom Walgamuth

Attachments
    Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Apr 2016 06:13 PM
    Tom,
    For those of us with short memories, how about some pictures?
    Mark
    t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 Apr 2016 10:19 PM
    Hi Mark, I had trouble loading the pics....on my screen they show below the black line above to click on....is that on your screen?

If not I can email some.

Tom Walgamuth
    t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    30 Apr 2016 05:03 PM
    I just found out the glasses I bought about this time last year had the wrong prism in them causing me to see double when tired. I suspect they may have hampered my depth perception too. I am looking forward to getting the YC-3 back together so I can see if my new glasses help.

Its still for sale though.
    t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    15 May 2016 04:24 PM
    I got fairly busy with some Architectural work so the reassembly is on the back burner until I get that done. A couple weeks delay perhaps.
    t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Jul 2016 03:01 PM
    I'm back on task cleaning out the chassis and preparing to install the fresh motor. My goal is to have it ready to run July 17/18.
    t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 Aug 2016 05:39 PM
    So the car is all back together and running now. I have a few details to finish and am planning to come to the nationals test and tune to sort it out.

So if anybody is interested in the car come on over to Peru and watch it run.

Call me if you want to come see it in case something happens and I cannot make it.

Tom Walgamuth
    765 490 027five
    t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    19 Aug 2016 06:52 PM
    I took the car to Grissom today. It felt very strong! Nothing fell off or leaked either! I'm gonna run again tomorrow.
    t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    25 Aug 2016 04:16 PM
    Cashmore is planning to drive the YC3 at nationals in an effort to win another championship. We are fettling it and fixing minor defects....such as a crack here and there. We're getting it dyno'd today at King racing in Milwaukee and plan on running on sunday at the route 66 speedway.
    t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Sep 2016 09:01 PM
    We had a setback when we put the car on the chassis dyno. The bearings were damaged. So we got the engine out and went through it again. Head was not damaged in any way. Crank required turning. We installed new rods and of course bearings... The engine is all back in the car now and its all loaded up so I can run in the morning at South Bend at the Tire Rack test track. Its a lovely place to run. The weather is supposed to be perfect too.

South Bend is where I was born so its always fun to go there. My sister and her family still lives nearby.

and next month I will run up in Auburn with the Ft Wayne club on the 23rd.
    t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    26 Sep 2016 07:41 AM
    Just got back from the Tire Rack. The weather was perfect, somewhat overcast and 85 degrees but with a brisk breeze. Rain threatened but did not come until I was nearly home.

Its a lovely place to run, there is a large double ringed skidpad with crossovers in several places offering various ways to lay out a course. The surfaces are well cared for. There is significant slope built into the paving to provide drainage so these can sometimes create helpful or harmful camber/banking situations when you are trying to turn on them. After running there for a decade I am aware of them and no longer spin out mysteriously when I hit one of them.

The car was perfect except for one detail. It has a very tall (for the way its set up) 6.05 rear ratio installed. It needed a 7.95 today. I hoped it would not matter much but getting the car moving at the start was tedious.

The suspension felt perfect. it was very neutral but under power I could bring the tail out at will (Of course). The engine felt very strong. I was running the tires that Jeff won nationals with in 3015. They have not been used since that day.

We were supposed to get six runs. I ran a 43.5 first run, 43.2 second, 41.6 third, 41.1 fourth and 40.4 my fifth run. My competition left early and I was pooped and felt really good about the last time so I loaded up and headed home after 5 runs.

The handling was spot on and the tires had excellent grip.

It was sublime.

Woo hoo!

I'll keep the asking price where it is since the last engine work does not increase value. While doing the work, I replaced a section of oil gauge pressure line with braided stainless (previously was plastic and looked dodgy) and am adding an oil temperature gauge.
    t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    02 Oct 2016 05:36 PM
    I'm home now from Grissom. It was high speed day. (That's not the right name) but the course was more open with fewer small tedious turns. Turns out it was a pretty good course for me and my car but since I did not understand the nature of the event and the course it turned out I had too low gearing (7.95) and after I got the hang of the course I was bouncing off the rev limiter at the end of the course.

Turns out I was 3.5 seconds behind the fastest person today, Clemens Burgher our 3 at least time national champion in B mod, after four runs. His car is very fast and carries a lot of wing so this was a good showing for me in a car with minimal downforce, but apparently I have plenty of horsepower! I decided I had a good enough time for the day and chose not to make any more runs because of the inappropriate gear.

Would I have been quicker if I had had the optimal gear in the diff? I'd say yes. Hard to say definitively but in the future I'll be taking all my gears with me and will not hesitate to change them if they are not optimal.

Changing directions as in a series of small turns it feels a lot like the downhill racers who appear to lift and turn their skis in the air and change direction when the skis plant and dig in. The lotus feels like that. The feel of landing sideways is a bit spooky at first but I am getting used to it. At first you worry that the car will not bite but it always does, you just have to be ready with the steering to be pointing the right direction when it bites and leaps forward and sideways.

Its an odd thing to be heading for a cone, throwing the car sideways and biting and moving past without touching the cone.

I have found my confidence. It feels really good.

Dam* that car is quick!
    t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10 Oct 2016 05:06 PM
    Just looked again and discovered I was 5.5 seconds behind. The car is running better than my brain!
    t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10 Oct 2016 05:21 PM
    I'll be running in south bend on the 23rd in the aussie pursuit in case anybody wants to come check the car out.
    Wnycpking

--
    14 Oct 2016 10:28 PM

Tom,

I may be there with J2 if I can.  How is the grip there?

Chris K

t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Oct 2016 08:17 AM

Sorry Chris, just saw this. Grip is good for asphalt.  I like a slick track in any case.

Running at the Tire Rack is about as perfect in many ways as it can get.  The paddock is an easy walk from the course and the course is compact so minimizes walking.

I ran yesterday at the Aussie pursuit there in South Bend at the tire rack test track. the car ran perfectly. No drips and nothing fell off or broke. it was strong and quick. Once it warms up it idles like a stocker.

There was a place for hard braking down hill that caused rear lockup so I adjusted the braking after two runs to be less on that end.

The course was a square with turns at each corner and a slalom on each end. The straights were short enough you actually were turning all the way on each of them. There were two places where it was easy to run off course as the line was very narrow. One would earn a disqaualification the other had the potential if you spun to hit a car in the start wait line, so precise driving was needed. Small slides were possible with care.

I didn't win the big trophy. In the Aussie pursuit if you hit a cone or get a wheel in the grass you lose.

Its a double elimination and I got the shifter kart as my first draw so I lost once immediately. In my second run I beat an RX7, then in the next run I got beat by a fellow driving a much modified s2000. I could not see how I was doing but I was told it was very close and on the last of 5 laps I guess I hit a cone but I did not feel it at all so it must have been close.

Five laps on an autocross course is a long time!

So today I'll go out and make a list of things to do for winter. I intend to clean up some wiring and hose issues. I'd love to do some aero too to the front and rear.
    t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    27 Dec 2016 11:53 PM
    I'm planning to get the wiring completely redone with the 12 wire harness this winter. I am also hoping to get some devices added which give more downforce both front and rear. Now that the car is running good I am antsy to run again. Dang! Winter is just starting.
    t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    15 Jan 2017 01:00 PM
    I saw a lot of geese flying south in V formations yesterday. I'm sure that means spring is at hand!
    t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    27 Feb 2017 03:17 PM
    I now have two sets of sticker tires to go with the car. Both are mounted and ready to run. Also is a set of old rain tires and a set of mounted tires with not too many runs on them.

I'll offer a winter sale price for all that stuff for $25,000 without the trailer. I'll reduce the trailer too to $4500 with good tires purchased when I bought the trailer on it.

Feel free to make a trade or an offer.

If it doesn't sell I'll be running it again this year.
    t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    07 Aug 2017 04:24 PM
    The YC-3 is still available. I ran last weekend and a couple weeks before. I got a new hip March 1st and am getting back into shape but I'm still a little slow.

We put a new nose on the car which seems to be generating some down-force. I am experimenting with more rear spoiler too.

It looks like there is some chance I'll take it to nationals for one of the established D mod hot drivers to campaign.

She's still for sale though.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner