Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages

Advanced Member

Advanced Member

--
15 Aug 2017 04:34 PM
So it seems Peter Raymond will be piloting the YC-3 for me at Nationals. I am having it prepped now. All the routine stuff plus making my temporary styrofoam rear spoiler made permanent in aluminum by Michael at LeVaire engineering.

Hopefully we can honor Del Long by winning another championship in one of his best cars ever!

We'll also be running at Grissom Friday and Saturday Nationals test and tune.

Advanced Member

Advanced Member

--
16 Aug 2017 11:04 PM
It looks like I'll be there with the yc-3 and Peter Raymond owner of the yc-2, which is down at the moment, will be driving her at Nationals.

I'm getting her ready now.

Advanced Member

Advanced Member

--
27 Aug 2017 05:44 PM

So yesterday and Friday we practiced at Grissom for the Nationals. The car ran perfectly and Peter looks very fast! We had a couple of false scares when the engine quit but it ran fine when we filled it with E85. We got in around 40 runs and no problems with the car. Routine maintenance will be performed this week.

Advanced Member

Advanced Member

--
27 Aug 2017 06:09 PM
Here are some pics of the new nose and the wider rear spoiler.
Attachments

Advanced Member

Advanced Member

--
28 Aug 2017 08:19 AM
Hmmm, pics aren't coming up....?
Attachments

--
28 Aug 2017 06:54 PM
Well having driven a million laps in this car this Friday and Saturday I can say it's pretty amazing. I suspect that you could build a car for a similar price, but I doubt it would be as fast. I've been leaning towards a turbo, but this engine pulled so hard I'm wondering why you would want an engine with maybe a little more power, a similar power band, but with lag. I've seen the dyno sheet showing flat torque from 2000 to 8000. In the low mid-range the turbo has to have significantly more torque, but I don't know if you could get that to the ground.

I'm really looking forward to Nationals. We'll have to run taller gears, so it will be interesting to see what I think of the acceleration then.

Advanced Member

Advanced Member

--
09 Sep 2017 11:51 PM
Peter did an amazing job at Nationals.

When I was contacted by him to run the YC-3 all I knew about him was that in 015 his last run second day was fast D mod of the day, so I knew he was fast. Turns out he also has 6 championships and 7 pro solo victories. At the award ceremony last night they noted that in this his 35th year at nationals he won his 29th trophy....so far.;)

We got help from Darin Long who ran also and got the tires good and warm for Peter even though the steering wheel position was all wrong for him.

After the first Day Peter was in fourth behind Huffman and the two Ellerbys. Second day he managed to improve enough to split the Ellerbys and take third....not bad for a man who did not turn a wheel in a race car this year until our test and tune at Grissom since his car is in the shop.

In going to Nationals my own ulterior motive was to demonstrate that the YC-3 is sound and still fast. I believe we did that.

Now I think I'll keep it for a while longer as I want to develop the front Aero before next year. I'll also be running it when I can.

Advanced Member

Advanced Member

--
03 Jan 2018 11:02 AM
I am putting the car on bringatrailer with a reasonable reserve. I am ready to move it on as I have bought another car which I can drive on the street and autocross.

Advanced Member

Advanced Member

--
04 Jan 2018 09:47 AM
I am updating the original advertisement for sale:

This is the legendary YC-3 built by Del Long in 2002.

It is a six time national champ with Cashmore driving, two runner ups as well when various problems intruded, two Ladies championships at the hand of Denise Cashmore and too many national tour victories and podiums to list.

It is a Lotus 7 replica chassis CMC built with an Acura K20 A2 engine, a two speed Toyota Corolla tranny (3 and 4 plus R, 1 and 2 were taken off the shafts to save weight) and a Winters quick change circle trac rear end with at least 6 ratios available (change gearing in 15 minutes). The brakes all have willwood aluminum calipers and lightweight rotors. The clutch is a single disc racing clutch. Flywheel is aluminum.

The engine let go at the end of the first run of the second day at Nationals 2015. Although others posted faster second day times they were unable to beat Jeff Cashmore's time on the aggregate.

We have rebuilt the motor with Brian Crower sportsman rods replacing the scats at 100 grams lighter per rod. The pistons are now 12.5 CR Mahle. New springs, retainers and BC cams. The engine is set up to run E 85. It puts out about 250 hp at the drilled aluminum flywheel with a lovely flat torque curve which makes it easy to launch. Shifting is optional on most courses. The quick change allows it to be fine tuned for the course for optimal urge without getting into the rev limiters. About 9000 rpm usable. 

We have run the car a lot this year including finishing third at Nationals with Peter driving it so that is excellent evidence that the motor is sound and running well.

The YC-3 is a pussycat around the pits, idling like a stocker, and with a mild clutch and the fat torque curve it is a piece of cake to launch like a rocket sled. It is a real rush to drive. However, I am 69 years old and although I ran a lot the last two years I never really mastered this car. I have concluded that I won't ever master it. It deserves a faster driver. I'd like to recoup most of my investment and move back to a milder car that I can make best use of with my not improving skills. I'm buying a street legal car with doors. Since I am committed to buying the new car I am now a motivated seller.

Car includes three extra sets of Real rims with tires mounted. Two sets of tires with low runs on them are mounted plus an oldish set of treaded rains. Two new Hoosiers for the rear won at nationals the two rears are in the box. They have been kept in my semi heated attached garage.

Lots of "spare" parts included.

$23,500, and I'll consider any reasonable offer.

I have a nice 26' x 8.5 Haulmark enclosed trailer with one season on new tires. The trailer has two lights inside plus a lot of tie down tracks. $4250. I'll knock the price down if selling the car and trailer together.

765 49zero zero 275, twalgamuth(at)comcast.net Call me or email as I don't come here daily, please.
Tom Walgamuth

Advanced Member

Advanced Member

--
31 Jan 2018 11:43 PM

peter raymond drove the 3 at Nationals last year and nabbed third.  The yc-3 is still a very fast car.  

I just bought a Cobra replica to autocross and it is street legal so I'll drive it there some too.

So I am a motivated seller now.  I'll sell the 3 for $20,000.

Advanced Member

Advanced Member

--
23 Feb 2018 05:37 PM
The haulmark trailer is now sold.

Advanced Member

Advanced Member

--
26 Feb 2018 11:07 AM
I am anticipating a deposit on the purchase of yc-3 today.

--
26 Feb 2018 03:01 PM
A great deal for a great car.

Advanced Member

Advanced Member

--
26 Feb 2018 05:00 PM
Thanks Peter!

Advanced Member

Advanced Member

--
26 Feb 2018 07:49 PM
I do have a deposit now on the 3 to be consumated as soon as we can get the buyer a chance to drive the 3.

Advanced Member

Advanced Member

--
06 Apr 2018 11:27 AM
Loaded the 3 today in anticipation of an early start for Grissom tomorrow. The purchaser will be meeting me there for a test drive.

Woo Hoooo!

Basic Member

Basic Member

--
07 Apr 2018 06:51 AM

Good luck with the sale. Hate to see it go!

Advanced Member

Advanced Member

--
09 Apr 2018 10:03 AM
The buyer came up and ran on Saturday. He is planning to come pick her up in two weeks. I'll miss her.

My new to me Cobra replica with 427 CI will make lots of noise though so it should be fun too.;)

Advanced Member

Advanced Member

--
21 Apr 2018 10:17 AM
Bob Tunnell came yesterday and loaded up the YC-3 and all its sundry spares. It is a great car. Bob's intention is to win 7 championships with it so he can beat Cashmore's record.;)

I am working on my New toy the 427 Cobra Replica.

I hope to have it ready to autocross on the 7th.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
Vorshlag 88x31 Button Mooresport Button
Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner