AspireTec Engineering  468
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 06 May 2016 07:53 PM by  drdisque
How do I turn an SCCA racecar into a road legal vehicle?
 3 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Fred_1320Video

--
04 May 2016 06:59 AM

Hey guys! I'm new here, and I know you guys usually do the exact opposite of what I'm trying to do, but I figured someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction....

I have an opportunity to buy a very clean 1987 Volkswagen. Its been a track car all of it's life and the current owner has described it as "Production Racecar" and indicated that it does not have a title (and I would assume no VIN). If I bought it, I would receive the car with a bill of sale and that's it. As much fun as SCCA racing looks, I'm afraid I'm out of town for work far too much to enjoy it strictly as a track car. 

So here's my question.... Is there any way I can turn a "Production Racecar" into a road legal and registered car for use on public roads? 

I've been told I should just find another 1987 Volkswagen shell and swap the VIN over, but I'd like to keep this as legal as possible haha. The thought crossed my mind that I might be able to register it as a "Kit Car", but I have no idea what all that entails, and I'm not ever sure if this car would be eligible for something like that. Have any of you had any experience with doing something like this with one of your racecars? Is it even possible? Any direction on a good course of action? Any and all helpful advice is welcome!

THANKS!
    -Fred-

PS- I live in Nebraska if that helps at all.....

drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 May 2016 01:00 PM
    If you have a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin, (you probably don't), then you can get a title.

Otherwise, you will have to go through the process of getting a Bonded Title, which is tedious, but not impossible - http://www.dmv.nebraska.gov/dvr/mvt...vbond.html
    dkmura

--
    06 May 2016 02:47 PM
    This isn't done very often and often depends on individual state requirements for registering vehicles. Thus, registering an ex-race car in Colorado may not apply to registering one in Nebraska. Having said that, I wouldn't assume the VW doesn't have a VIN. Verifying that shouldn't be difficult, but you'll still need a bonded title. Getting the vehicle to pass emissions testing (if you have that) is another hurdle to overcome. It'll take some work to get a former racecar back on the road and a factor to consider before making a purchase.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 May 2016 07:53 PM

AFAIK no emissions testing in Nebraska.

Note that the bonded title does require a Sheriff's inspection. I suspect that only entails checking that the VIN on the plate is the same as the one on the title application and that the car is roadworthy (has headlights, taillights, wipers, a reasonable exhaust, etc.) but he may also check for emissions equipment being present.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner