Drum brakes vs disk swap
 5 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Efcivic701

--
08 May 2016 06:06 PM
    For auto cross best to swap to rear disk and keep rear drums for less weight?
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    09 May 2016 10:46 AM
    Rear brakes matter.

However, you have to consult the rules of the class you are running to see if such a conversion is allowed. Usually a conversion is worth the weight if allowed.
    ron
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    09 May 2016 12:40 PM
    The weight of these cars usually doesn't necessitate the swap. Just get the factory rear shoes and properly adjust the rear brakes and it will be all that you need.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 May 2016 01:37 PM
    Ah, I should have figured out what car he was talking about by his username.

I Agree in that case.
    tdeutsch

--
    10 May 2016 02:04 PM
    I'm relatively new to autocross, but I can't see how braking could be very demanding during our approx 1 minute runs to warrant a swap. Stab and go, trail and go. I'm thinking front to rear bias would be way more important than brake format (drum vs disc). Less "grabby" overall would be great, too. I used to have a Spitfire (for the street). The brakes were Schwinn sized, basically. The joke among Spitfire owners was that we had an early form of anti-lock brakes - press as hard as you want and they won't lock up.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 May 2016 02:24 PM
    On a hot day, especially if you trail brake, the brakes get hot and braking force matters, but yes balance also matters, especially for a heavy car you don't want the force too far forward biased as that will exacerbate understeer or require excessively early braking in order to avoid understeer.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner