Need FWD Help
 13 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
EPidiot1

--
12 May 2016 01:46 PM

Looking for some experienced fwd input. I have been having trouble putting down times that I think the car is capable of.  If you don't know who I am I Jim Lynch with the black Focus SVT that runs in E prepared.  I'm not looking to be the Index winner, that would be an absolute miracle drive but I am looking to progress into the top 20 on raw times. Basically I need to find a 1-1.5 seconds to get there and I almost sure the car can do it. Any input would be great and I'm open for ride alongs. Also I'm open to any questions on the set up if anyone would like to know while trying to help.

Thanks guys and drive fast.

Adam303
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    12 May 2016 02:15 PM

Hey Jim, Adam Deffenbaugh here. I have a very similar car (2006 Mazda3). Let's get together and talk at the next event on 5/22. I'd be more than happy to take a look at the car, discuss classing and setup, and go over certain driving techniques with you that I have found helpful. 

Autolex

--
    12 May 2016 03:06 PM
    Posted By EPidiot1 on 12 May 2016 01:46 PM

Looking for some experienced fwd input. I have been having trouble putting down times that I think the car is capable of.  If you don't know who I am I Jim Lynch with the black Focus SVT that runs in E prepared.  I'm not looking to be the Index winner, that would be an absolute miracle drive but I am looking to progress into the top 20 on raw times. Basically I need to find a 1-1.5 seconds to get there and I almost sure the car can do it. Any input would be great and I'm open for ride alongs. Also I'm open to any questions on the set up if anyone would like to know while trying to help.

Thanks guys and drive fast.

Do you care to throw out some specs? (tire make and size? wheel width?) what does the car do well? what doesn't it do well?

Edit: just realized you want driving advice (which should absolutely not be coming from me haha!)

Clint_G

--
    12 May 2016 03:07 PM
    Any videos of your runs you could link?
    christoc
    I'm an Admin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    12 May 2016 03:13 PM
    Are you entered in the EVO school this weekend?
    EPidiot1

--
    12 May 2016 04:00 PM
    I am not signed up for evo school this weekend. Mainly for scheduling issues. I do have some videos from the first event and some from late last year. I will have to figure out how to upload them when I get home this evening. Thanks Adam, I would really appreciate that
    java_osborn
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    12 May 2016 08:27 PM
    Hi Jim,

If not the Novice school for seat time and basic instruction. Then Evo School it the best bang for your buck. I definitely recommend it.
    You can definitely get some in town instruction as well. I would try to get someone to co-drive your car, or co-drive with them.
    My two cents.

Jeff
    EPidiot1

--
    16 May 2016 10:21 AM
    Sorry guys I can't figure out how to upload videos.
    gilligan156
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 May 2016 10:24 AM

Text me, I'll show you how to do it

sgreer78
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    16 May 2016 09:50 PM
    Can't figure out how to embed them here, or can't figure out how to upload to youtube? Youtube is simple, click "upload" and select the file. I've found embedding here to be finicky, so you can always just copy and paste the link and people can click.
    EPidiot1

--
    18 May 2016 09:16 AM

Ok figured it out. I knew the file was not coded right. Just needed to finalize my editing so it would save it as and mp4 instead of an unfinished project. This is the you tube link https://youtu.be/sFd_X-EmDk0

This is actually a video of a 46.9 pass on the first event. I ended up getting down to a 45.8

sgreer78
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    18 May 2016 09:52 AM
    Two things...

1. That course required no real driving, so it's going to be hard to analyze.

2. Having said that, you give up TONS of distance. And that's just what can be seen on the left side. If you can, try to find a way to put the camera inside behind you to show head movement, steering input, and a more representative view of the course.

I'll be free heat 1 Sunday to take a ride or two with you to try to help. 

edit: I see they moved EP to 3rd heat...I'll be starting. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gilligan156
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    18 May 2016 11:01 AM
    I think uploading one of the other courses would be better since as sean said that first track wasn't very technical and there's not a lot for others to point out. Plus, if memory serves me correctly, I think you had a really good result at event 1 didn't you? So I don't think you were struggling comparatively.

Also, a long time ago Sean told me that quarter-window mount isn't a very useful angle for trying to use the footage as a tool to improve, and he's right, so this weekend try mounting it in the center or in some way that really lets you see how your car is oriented and the lines you're taking etc.

As far as practical advice my only FWD racing experience is from racing sims so my thoughts are pretty worthless
    EPidiot1

--
    22 May 2016 06:52 PM
    Thanks for the help today Adam. Looks like I finished 4 spots higher than my best finish this year. Also less than .2 for 5 more positions. Thanks Sean too for the advise. Don't know if I can find a rear sway bar like yours but i may have a way to fabricate one. Anyway can't thank you guys enough. I think I just needed a little outside input and a good motivation boost. See everyone in a few weeks
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner