Help with classing my car
 5 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
bikerbob951

--
05 Jul 2016 01:03 PM
    Hello all. Not new to Auto-x but it's been a year or two since I've raced, and I haven't run this car in a while. Here's the important stuff:

1999 Audi A4 1.8 Turbo AWD
    - Reprogrammed ECU with revised boost levels.
    - Stock turbo.
    - Turbo-back exhaust with test pipe, no catalytic converter.
    - Factory big brake kit front and rear (Audi A8 brakes, nothing huge).
    - Street tires on 17x8 wheels.
    - Sport shocks and springs, coilovers coming next year.
    - Racing seats on Wedge Racing mounts.
    - 4-point Schroth harnesses, looks like produced in 2006.
    - Stock seatbelt is disabled at the moment, but can be remedied.
    - No rear seats, no carpet, no center console.
    - A slew of other little unimportant things.

The car is in great shape, certainly isn't the fastest car ever but I have fun with it. I know I'm going to be hopelessly outclassed whichever class I land in, but which class would that be? Would replacing carpet help with classing me more appropriately? Thanks in advance!
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 Jul 2016 03:25 PM
    The gutted interior technically puts the car in F Prepared (FP).

However, if you put the interior back in in you could run in D Street Prepared (DSP).

You could also split the difference and run Street Modified (SM), to which I doubt your local region would object, even though the lack of carpet and console makes it illegal technically for this class.
    bikerbob951

--
    05 Jul 2016 03:46 PM

Posted By drdisque on 05 Jul 2016 03:25 PM
    The gutted interior technically puts the car in F Prepared (FP).

However, if you put the interior back in in you could run in D Street Prepared (DSP).

You could also split the difference and run Street Modified (SM), to which I doubt your local region would object, even though the lack of carpet and console makes it illegal technically for this class.

Thanks for the response. I was figuring on SM until I spotted the clause about the interior, should I just email my region's chair and ask if my classing is appropriate? I'm just worried about the (very) outside chance that I place my car in SM and wind up beating someone. For DSP, I assume *all* interior would need to be present, rear seats and all?
    twistedwankel

--
    05 Jul 2016 05:09 PM
    Our local club allows a person to run N for Novice for their first 3 events. That would give you a chance to warm up to the folks locally and see what they will allow class wise.

Locally in FL SM is one of the fastest classes period. 450RWHP AWD plus major suspension tweaking. I don't think you have any concerns of beating anyone in SM with a serious car. Yours is a work in progress.

So long as you meet minimum weight I really doubt anyone at a local level would care. Take it to a truck stop and pay them for a printed ticket just like a trailer.
    cretinx

--
    01 Aug 2016 03:02 PM
    buy some lightweight audio fabric, recarpet the car, throw in the seats and the console, and run SM.
    bikerbob951

--
    01 Aug 2016 03:55 PM
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I've re-installed carpet and the center console sans arm rest, which meets the local specifications for SM. In the SCCA Solo rulebook, it says that SM cars may have rear seats and associated hardware removed, page 107.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner