AspireTec Engineering  468
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 01 Aug 2016 03:01 PM by  cretinx
Can we get a CAM-like class for imports?
 3 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Kanaric

--
27 Jul 2016 12:06 PM
    The purpose of CAM seems to be to allow people with already modified American cars that were not built for autocross have a class.

On top of that being the case for people with imports already there has been a serious flow of JDM cars into the US lately. A few people I know have bought Nissan Skylines for example. Out local group let them run in SSM (which I think was wrong). However it's not just these there have been S13s, Pulsars, etc. A large variety of cars that people have as their project vehicle who would like to try autocross and not be put into some off-road class.

It would be nice to have some like JDM or "Import-Modified" class for these people. I was running my Skyline GTS-T last summer since I was between autocross cars myself. I actually got a few people to bring their stuff out and they seemed to enjoy it. However these are people who can only have 1 project car, whose daily is probably a van or something, and otherwise couldn't compete.

I'm sure people have asked for this before. My schedule is going to allow me to come out again and I was thinking it would be nice if such a class existed.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Jul 2016 12:18 PM
    A lot of regions run a Street-Tire index class, so any car that is in SP, SM, P, or M can race against each other on street tires on index. Then it's just up to your region to decide what index to class these JDM cars on. I feel that for stock JDM sports cars like a Skyline SSP is appropriate and then modified cars can be placed on SSM, SMF, or SM based on their body style and heavily modified cars can be placed in XP. It's all up to your region and is just something you can discuss.

I think that if you are going to gain any traction in getting JDM cars allowed at a national level, I think you're going to get the most traction by proposing that they be allowed in XP.

There are plenty of existing classes where a US-market import car can be competitive at various levels of prep. Other than that it's a race tire class, XP is very close to the "anything goes" rules of CAM and SM allows a lot of the common prep done on CAM cars.

Remember also that CAM was created not just to create a new class out of thin air, but to take the ruleset of a group of people who were ALREADY autocrossing and to get them to start autocrossing with SCCA.
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    27 Jul 2016 08:22 PM
    We've let a RHD R32 run in SSM locally, too seems wholly appropriate for the car even if it's technically excluded because it wasn't sold in the US. If you're looking for an exception for literal imports that were never sold in the US, well, that's unlikely to happen. Most popular imports that are sold in the US are already classed at every prep level.

Heritage classic (new this year) is similar to CAM for imports and could potentially be expanded if it turns out to be popular enough. Are you talking primarily late model imports, like cars with random misc mods that don't fit cleanly in the existing prep structure?

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_file...1455893947
    cretinx

--
    01 Aug 2016 03:01 PM
    Create a "Run What Ya Brung" class where the only rules are

1 - fenders
    2 - original body (no tube frames)
    3 - street tires

Make it provisional like CAM or Novice - you can get an event trophy but not eligible for season points or end of year trophies.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner