Looking to get into autocross in central Iowa
 1 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
OUTLAWS85

--
08 Aug 2016 05:09 PM
    I'm want to get into Autocross this coming spring, I have read into the minimum safety requirements as far as tires, suspension, and having a vehicle in good condition but have some more questions. I have a 2005 Ford Mustang GT w/a 5 speed manual transmission with really low miles and is in great condition. It has the basic upgrades such as cat back exhaust, off road x-pipe, cold air intake, aftermarket ECU program. As it sits now what class would my car qualify for? Also it has basic 255 35R20 tires on it which I want to replace before hitting the track, are 20" tires a good idea or should I look into new tires and wheels in a different size? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Aug 2016 08:54 PM
    Your car would be in STP - which is a new class for this year. You could also run the car in CAMC. Most people with Mustangs do not use 20" wheels. There are no really competitive tires available in 255/35/20.

If you can afford it, I'd go down to 19's and run 275/35/19's - one of these tires - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...iameter=17

Hell you could even go down to 18's and run 275/40/18's - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...iameter=17

Also, to be competitive in STP you'll want stiffer springs, better shocks, and stiffer sway bars, but don't let that stop you from getting out there and racing. You can even race the car exactly how you have it now.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner