New wheels/Tires Help w/ Tire Pressure
 1 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Fiatty

--
11 Aug 2016 06:19 PM
    I own a Fiat 500 Abarth, they are front heavy cars and the stock tires are (Pirelli Pzero) 205/40/17. The door sticker recommends 38psi front and 32 psi rear. I recently started doing track days and the stock setup was completely useless. Those tires are crap and I just couldn't hold my line.
    I got rid of that junk and got myself some Enkei RPF1 wheels with some Hankook RS3 tires size 225/45/15 and the improvement was huge and instantly. I shaved off 10 lbs per wheel and the grip is excellent, but could improve some.
    Not knowing where to start with tire pressures, I used 30psi front and 32 psi rear. It worked out good but after 10 minutes the front started to get hot and greasy. After the 20-minute track session i immediately checked tire pressures again. The rear went up maybe 10% to 35psi but the front had gone up to 43psi. I'm told that the RS3's need to be no more than 38psi for optimal grip.

Where should I start next time? Some guys tell me I should start with 34psi front to end up at 38psi. Others tell me that I should start at around 25-26psi which seems awfully low to me, especially with the manufacturer's reccomendations to use 6psi more in the front vs rear. What do you experts think?
    cretinx

--
    17 Aug 2016 11:42 AM
    You should chalk the wheels and keep letting pressure out until they begin to roll over. Then bump it up slightly. Then adjust for feel and balance.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner