Newbie saying hi
 11 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
scarfache

--
27 Aug 2016 09:57 PM
    I just wanted to say hi to everyone and I look forward to furthering my interest in this sport. My ride is detailed in my signature.

Next mod I have planned is gut interior, I'm taking any tips on good reclinable seats what won't put me in the poor house, but also will do what they need to do. I'm short (5'7") and wide so will need a seat that can accommodate a man of my...stature. Looking for a cloth black seat preferably. Also need a good steering wheel that also won't break the bank. Something that has provision for a horn.

I'll be participating in my first solo event on 9/11 here in Buffalo and it's been a long time in the works. I'm definitely a novice but have autocrossed at events like the srt challenge and SEMA. I know they aren't the same, but that's where I got bit by the bug.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Aug 2016 12:09 AM
    Are you planning on autocrossing? What car do you have? Are you aware that under SCCA classing, gutting the interior will put your car in Prepared class?
    scarfache

--
    30 Aug 2016 11:32 AM
    Posted By drdisque on 30 Aug 2016 12:09 AM
    Are you planning on autocrossing? What car do you have? Are you aware that under SCCA classing, gutting the interior will put your car in Prepared class?

Yes I am planning on autocrossing.  I'm already in Street Modified because of my aftermarket fiberglass hood and the cam, so I figured since I'm already racing people above me, how much could it hurt.  I don't expect to be competitive right out the gate, just want to make sure I modify things that are worth doing.  I know 4th gen f-body's have a ton of weight that can be removed and I figured start there or more suspension mods before adding power...I have plenty of that.  

Do you have suggestions instead of removing interior?

twistedwankel

--
    30 Aug 2016 12:28 PM
    Welcome. Your signature doesn't say anything. I think you have a Camaro. You are near the Finger Lakes Region who always had a number of quality events. For car mods you should go to Sam Strano autoparts in PA. He has a website. Great prices. Awesome driver for decades now. A great company/person to support with your purchases. He had great success with F bodies and Mustangs before moving to Vettes.

Wheels, tires, shocks, bars and alignment will be your first order of business. I raced in SM a number of years with a full leather interior and even left the spare tire in it with decent National results because I was allowed to replace the turbo + boost and had huge factory rims. I've always used a chest strap to keep my torso in the seat on factory seats. You will have to actually sit in a race seat to see if you can use it. They run skinny and without a removable steering wheel can be a real hassle. Unless you trailer the car you probably won't like it for normal driving. Pay attention to the weight limits for your car. You can take out too much.
    Unless you are going for trophies I recommend just getting as much seat time as you can and develop a plan of action for the car. The list can be endless with little gained.
    Doug

scarfache

--
    30 Aug 2016 12:50 PM
    Posted By twistedwankel on 30 Aug 2016 12:28 PM
    Welcome. Your signature doesn't say anything. I think you have a Camaro. You are near the Finger Lakes Region who always had a number of quality events. For car mods you should go to Sam Strano autoparts in PA. He has a website. Great prices. Awesome driver for decades now. A great company/person to support with your purchases. He had great success with F bodies and Mustangs before moving to Vettes.

Wheels, tires, shocks, bars and alignment will be your first order of business. I raced in SM a number of years with a full leather interior and even left the spare tire in it with decent National results because I was allowed to replace the turbo + boost and had huge factory rims. I've always used a chest strap to keep my torso in the seat on factory seats. You will have to actually sit in a race seat to see if you can use it. They run skinny and without a removable steering wheel can be a real hassle. Unless you trailer the car you probably won't like it for normal driving. Pay attention to the weight limits for your car. You can take out too much.
    Unless you are going for trophies I recommend just getting as much seat time as you can and develop a plan of action for the car. The list can be endless with little gained.
    Doug

Thanks for the info.  I didn't realize I don't have a signature, here is the list of my car:

1993 Trans Am: Just decided I want to use it for AutoX

LT1 w/ LT4  hot cam kit, AS&M throttle body, moroso CAI, Full Exhaust, PCM4less Tune, Suncoast Ram Air Fiberglass hood, MGW shifter, upgraded 98-02 front brakes, Koni sport shocks 4/3, stock springs, rear tubular control arms and panhard bar, 18x10.5" C6 Z06 wheels w/ 293/35-18 Nitto NT-05 tires

I'm from Buffalo, NY and am signed up for an event at Ralph Wilson Stadium (now New Era Field) on 9/11.  I contacted the organizer and she said I would be in Street Modified.  I'm just so excited to finally start getting into racing that I might be getting ahead of myself...guilty.  I'm just looking to have fun and maybe after a few years, start to be competitive.

As for Strano, my Koni shocks are from him and I've contacted him before, just figured I don't want to bother him again until I need to order parts.

-Rich

twistedwankel

--
    30 Aug 2016 05:50 PM
    Rich,

Sam is awesome. Just don't use him for info and buy off ebay. He has to earn a living with all his knowledge!!

If you're buyin' your not botherin'. Best source I know of on this planet for GM or Ford.

You could be a fun fit in SM with those big wheels and torque. Might desire cheap lowering springs? Doubt Nitto's are the sticky wicket. At least move to RS3's for heavy car. You can get a Y harness to keep you in that factory seat tight cheap. Replace seat belt bolts with O loops. Gutted cats open exhaust is a good move if you meet sound levels. SEAT TIME is your best friend.

Have fun. When it stops being fun don't do it. I'm turning 70 this year and still winning locally here in FL in a stock C5 vert and RX8:) Wish I still had my 88 SM Conquest w/auto.

Doug

drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Aug 2016 06:40 PM
    An alternative is that you could put a full interior (doesn't have to be the "stock" interior) in and run CAM-C. The class runs on street tires and I think your car could definitely be competitive there.
    scarfache

--
    31 Aug 2016 08:51 AM
    dedisque: I didn't even know about that class and upon reading the rules, I think you're right, I'm going to aim for that. My car weighs about 3500 without me in it, so I can take 250-300 lbs out and still meet the requirements. Thanks for that, huge help!!!

twistedwankel: Sam is a great guy and a wealth of knowledge, I'd never ask him for something then buy somewhere else. For tires, I'm having a hard time finding good ones my size. I originally wanted BFG Rival tires, but they are discontinued so for 295/35-18 without breaking the bank, the NT05s were my only option really. I already have a gutted cat and full exhaust so power wise I think I'm at my limit unless I want to change out parts, which I'm not prepared to since it's so reliable. I'll look into a Y Harness and O Loops...never heard of either so I'm interested to see what they can do for me. I want to replace the seats because they just aren't supportive enough to keep me planted properly during abrupt turns. I was also thinking about getting the strano springs to go with my Koni's but I want to see how the car does in it's current setup. I'm also running stock sway bars so I have a feeling that some thicker and lighter ones will be in my future. The guys at UMI Performance are always so helpful, so I'm sure they can get me the right parts...plus they are working directly with Sam Strano to develop new parts which is exciting.

Just can't thank you all enough for the tips and info so far. I've wanted to get into racing for years and it's finally all happening. Much appreciated! Also, keep the info coming. Can't have enough knowledge in my opinion, the more info i have the better I will be.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    31 Aug 2016 03:46 PM

You could do the Hankook Ventus R-S3 in 285/35-18 

scarfache

--
    31 Aug 2016 03:48 PM

I was trying to get as large of a footprint as possible and wanted the best size for my 10.5" wheels.  I relied on my local tire shop and this was what they recommended.  We'll see what happens with these tires and then I'll experiment with my 2nd set.

twistedwankel

--
    31 Aug 2016 04:24 PM
    Posted By Rich Scalfani on 31 Aug 2016 03:48 PM

I was trying to get as large of a footprint as possible and wanted the best size for my 10.5" wheels.  I relied on my local tire shop and this was what they recommended.  We'll see what happens with these tires and then I'll experiment with my 2nd set.

A friend used the Nitto's for a whole season right to bald on his  car.  When he finally got RS3 's he killed the class.  It's all about learning your car first.  Enjoy.

scarfache

--
    31 Aug 2016 05:08 PM
    I will definitely keep those in mind for my 2nd set. Thanks again!!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner