What class is this Merkur?
 4 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Chris12

--
28 Aug 2016 09:36 PM
    I have been autocrossing my daily driver, but I decided to have a dedicated street legal car to race.  I recently bought a 88 Merkur XR4TI.  I want to race/autocross it.  It has a T5 transmission swap with a stage 3 clutch and a single piece driveshaft.  I am looking to at a RS500 whale tail and racing seats.  I am trying to figure out what class it would be in.  I am thinking its SM, but I am not 100% sure.  Can anyone help?
    whitecivic
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Aug 2016 12:25 PM
    Hey Chris12,

Glad to hear someone is stepping up to race an XR again. To answer your question at this point with the T5 your are in the SM class, the cool thing is all the mods you have listed would be legal in the SM class accept "maybe" the RS500 whale tail but it's one of those things until your in the top of your Class locally and Nationally I wouldn't worry about it, I you can help yourself try to spend your money on car parts the will make your car go fast and stay legal.
    I ran my XR in the DSP class and won the 2009 National Championship, and then ran SM and had a lot of fun because of all the car mods I could do. Let me know if need more info and lets talk.

Ben 1985 XR4ti DSP, SM Class
    Chris12

--
    30 Aug 2016 08:11 PM
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. What would you recommend on wheels and suspension? I think that is where to start first. I am trying to find some to fit with a good, cheap (ish) tire.
    whitecivic
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Sep 2016 03:13 PM

Sent you a PM

Ben

Chris12

--
    02 Sep 2016 08:08 PM
    Thanks for all the info! It's going to a fun year.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner