Siphon/replace fuel
 5 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Matth3w

--
19 Sep 2016 02:14 PM
    Is there a way to easily siphon and replace fuel before a race? My 2016 Miata is my DD, so what I end up doing for the week before the race is filling up in like $2 increments. I'd rather just have an effective way to siphon and replace...preferably something via Amazon Prime since I live in Hawaii and it's ridiculous to ship here. I'm ok spending extra money (dedicated system vs. home-brewed solution).
    Canyonfive

--
    09 Nov 2016 10:51 PM
    Install a test port and wire a switch to keep you fuel pump on and you can pump out the fuel in between.
    twistedwankel

--
    10 Nov 2016 12:14 PM
    Do you have really bad gas in Hawaii? Modern fuel lasts easily 4 months before having any issues. You can put in additives (any cleaner) to help preserve fuel longer. Are you running E85 or pure ethanol in that car when you race? I don't get it?? Putting in less than a gallon of pump gas a day seems pretty odd to me.

There has to be an interesting story here somewhere.

Doug
    Matth3w

--
    10 Nov 2016 12:17 PM
    I'm just trying to keep weight down on race day. So I don't want to fill up and add an extra ~60lbs
    Tim Irwin
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Nov 2016 12:17 PM
    He's worried about weight rather than old gas. 60lbs of extra gas is a lot of unneeded weight on an autocross course. That being said, I have fairly consistent driving routes so I usually have a pretty good idea of how much gas I'm going to use between "now" and the next event and can fill appropriately.
    twistedwankel

--
    10 Nov 2016 02:01 PM
    Posted By Matthew Jones on 10 Nov 2016 12:17 PM
    I'm just trying to keep weight down on race day. So I don't want to fill up and add an extra ~60lbs

I suppose there's something to that depending on each car design.  6lb/gal is pretty much accepted wt of fuel now with the ethanol weighing  even less.  The Japanese design drivers are lighter than I am at 240.  Depends if the car suspension was designed to have decent corner weighting with a certain size driver and a full tank of fuel or an empty tank?   Someone on this board knows that info.  By all accounts I've read your car is softly sprung and likes to lean in stock form.

No one allows refueling on the grid anymore that I'm aware and one cannot leave grid once there or will be disqualified at a major event due to leaving before impound.  Big gamble running out or starving the car in corners on your last run.  Happens all the time here when we do 5-6 runs:)

Most newer cars are perfectly happy with the low fuel light on now that there is no return fuel line to the tanks for pump cooling.  Are you planning on opening up the fuel rail to drain the tank?  Sounds like a very bad idea.

I never run my cars with less than a 1/4 tank which in reality is about 5 gallons.  My RX8 low fuel light comes on at only 2 gallons and it's a gas hog WOT so I would run out.  If I have a co-driver I start with at least 1/3 tank which is about 6 or just fill it up so the car rotates better and no sloshing whatsoever.

Better you should index your plugs and get a killer alignment.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner