New Guy seeking advice
 2 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
JamesPoe

--
28 Nov 2016 10:56 PM
    I purchased a 1997 5 speed Altima about 2 years ago, gave it to my bro in law and it is returned needing a clutch. Car runs fine inspire of 300k miles. Leaks from the front seal and front end is wore out. It's actually pretty complete.

I've always been into cars and my wife and i reliable transportation. I have a few dollars to spend, but the pocket book definitely isn't open ended.

This Altima is far from my dream car and will never be.

Is it a waste of time to make needed suspension and engine repairs, and put some OK tires on it and beat the hell out of it at an auto cross event, or should I throw in a clutch and trade it for whatever I can get?

Looking at it as a cheap car to rag on and learn competitive driving with
    twistedwankel

--
    30 Nov 2016 01:04 PM
    A clutch can be a major investment. I just paid $1042 for all the parts to redo one in my 13 year old RX8 after 84k brutal miles. A no brainer for this dedicated clean xcross car as clutch will now outlast the car? 300k if hwy might leave the driveline usable? Check compression on the engine. That might be the deal breaker.

If you can do all the work yourself you might end up with a decent driver/autocross car for less than $1500? That's what I end up spending on any used car I buy to make it right whether I autocross it or not. I've never bought a car with more than 150k on driveline to start with and otherwise clean.

If the body is straight and the interior is passable you could run this for years just autocrossing with no issues. One can't buy anything "sporty" and decent for less than $3k anymore here in FL BUT there is an occasional deal out there ready to race and street legal to get you there and back.

See what's available. Then, decide if you should sell your Altima as is "will need clutch" or fix it for yourselves. You can donate a car for inflated tax relief too before New Years.
    ron
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    03 Dec 2016 01:58 PM
    I would put a clutch in it and sell it as it isn't a good autocross platform if you remotely want to be competitive. I would only do this if the clutch is cheap and you can do it yourself. Then I would buy a set up sts car, best bang for the buck of anything out there.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner