Good rwd starter car?
 5 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
akaWHIPLASH

--
03 Jan 2017 04:15 PM
    I'm looking into getting into seriously doing autocross I've screwed around with drag racing and now it's time for some corners and I want to do RWD so with that said what's something for $10,000 or less that I could buy with a few suspension mods already done
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Jan 2017 06:04 PM
    In that price range and specifying cars that are already modified, you might want to look at a mid 2000's mustang GT with some suspension work to run STP (which isn't a very popular class, so you could also run it in CAMC for more competition). If you're willing to go with a smaller car, a "NC" Mazda MX-5 from 2006 to 2010 might be available in your price range - it runs in STR class, which it is a bit underpowered for at a national level but can be competitive locally.

Another option, if you're comfortable with a Rotary powered car is a Mazda RX-8 in STX class.

Another option for STX is a E36 or E46 BMW 3-series.
    CoachMK21

--
    04 Jan 2017 01:46 PM
    You might be tight on the $10k budget, but a 350z is pretty competitive in STU, but the cost can add up quick. Conversely, if you kept it to the Street rules, it's a fairly cheap car that still does well.
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Jan 2017 05:23 PM
    The answer is always miata ;)
    poky71

--
    21 Jan 2017 01:16 AM
    Hey Everyone
    So I am wanting to start autocross hopefully in the next few months and was hoping to get some advice from you guys as to what I will need to do / what kind of equipment I will need as a beginner and in your opinion what kind of car would be fast, and easy and cheaper to fix lol. I can spend about 4K on this which I am understanding already isn't that much at this point but figured I'd ask you all here and learn from your journey in this feild
    Any help at all will be greatly appreciated
    Thank you
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    21 Jan 2017 10:42 AM
    High Soundboard

All you NEED is a car in decent mechanical condition - everything is tightened down, it isn't leaking or smoking, it's not full of garbage.

A car that I'd suggest in that $4k price range is a 2000-2005 Focus ZX3 - it's not woefully overmatched in HS and is eligible for STF, for which it is one of the best cars, and it handles well enough out of the box to be a worthwhile teaching tool.

You also CAN find early 90's miatas in that price range, but now most of them are in pretty bad shape.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner