Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
snaponbob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
06 May 2010 09:56 AM
fourwhls wrote:

I looked at the '99 E350 last night and it was a complete POS. It was described as "Perfect and Excellent Condition" and was far from it.

I am planning on looking at the Chevy today or tomorrow. Problem is that it is 4hrs away.

Somebody in the Tidewater not truthful about the condition of a high mileage used decade old van? No way. (btw, lived in Greenbrier area for 7 years, "been there seen that")

snaponbob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
06 May 2010 09:59 AM
Steve, Harpers Ferry is in the middle of racing heaven. Non stop solo in all around you and Summit Point almost in your back yard. You are SO fortunate.
Steve Hoelscher
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
06 May 2010 10:10 AM

snaponbob wrote:
Steve, Harpers Ferry is in the middle of racing heaven. Non stop solo in all around you and Summit Point almost in your back yard. You are SO fortunate.

Bob, I used to live across the street from the beach on the intercoastal waterway in St. Augustine, Florida. Take a close look at those photos again and tell me Harpers Ferry is "heaven".

So far, every weekend I have been home, since the start of the season, there have been no events. Again this weekend, I will be at Lime Rock Park and there is an Autocrossers Inc. even here. Next weekend, I am home and nothing...

Iain Mannix
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
06 May 2010 11:33 AM

Steve - yow, that's a good snowfall! I guess moving the engine back relative to the rear wheels does a lot more good than it seems; a 2wd truck would be unusable in that picture (maybe with the bed full of snow it'd go somewhere....), but The Van? Clear the windshield and drive away.

They're pretty astounding in snow; I get lots of crosseyed looks from the other snowmobilers, but I've yet to get it stuck on the forest service roads (most snowmobilers drive great big diesels with 20" wheels and stupid tires and exhausts sticking out of the bed.....). One place we rode this winter just Did Not Seem Right. Followed the internet directions, turn right into condo complex, turn right again, all the way up to FS road X, left, park. Long story short, the tire tracks over the snowbank into the woods WERE correct, and the guy told me that if I "did not lift" I'd get up to FS Road X.

So...faith in the guy at the snowmobile rental place, plowed over the snowbank, onto the semi-packed surface, road went up into the woods, bore left out of sight, rounded the bend, it got STEEPER, dammit, yikes, kept my foot in it and it popped out on a wider, but flat/semi packed road. Got up on the flat, fine.

Driving out, there was a 4x4 truck stuck in the soft stuff on the side. Dunno if he did not heed the "don't lift" advice, or if he had to move over to let someone down, but when I stopped to ask if he needed a hand, he said no, his friend was coming back with a strap...."is that thing 4wd?" Nope.

The look of bewilderment on his face was priceless.

Iain (admittedly, I'd have been stuck if I'd made a mistake, at which point, chains - put chains on? You can go pretty much anywhere. That said, driving a 2wd van onto what is considered a 4x4 road in the _summer_, let alone when there's 30-50" of settled snow on the ground, with a trailer/1000# of snowmobiles on the back is REALLY stressful....)

snaponbob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
07 May 2010 05:04 AM
Steve Hoelscher wrote:

snaponbob wrote:

Bob, I used to live across the street from the beach on the intercoastal waterway in St. Augustine, Florida. Take a close look at those photos again and tell me Harpers Ferry is "heaven".

So far, every weekend I have been home, since the start of the season, there have been no events. Again this weekend, I will be at Lime Rock Park and there is an Autocrossers Inc. even here. Next weekend, I am home and nothing...

In the Baltimore/Wash area there is the DC Region, AX Inc chapter and 4-5 independent clubs.. Frederick, Baltimore, DC area, Cumberland, etc. I believe there was just a PDX at Summit Point.http://www.kappaperformance.com/index.php?topic=4452.msg57662#msg57662 Contact the OP on that thread and mention I sent you to him. He can fill you in.

fourwhls

--
07 May 2010 07:05 AM

Well, I did it!

I am the new owner of a 2003 Chevy Express 15 passenger. It's pretty much loaded up and has the factory tow package. I made the trip to NC yesterday and came back with a new tow vehicle.

It needs a good cleaning, but is in great mechanical and cosmetic condition. The price was right, so I brought it home.

The 5.5hr trip back last night went well. The 6.0L is very impressive. The ride was a little stiff with just me in the van, but not as bad as I had anticipated. I was expecting the empty dually ride and it was far from that. I think with a trailer attached it will be very comfortable.

The only downside was when I had to stop and fill it up. The pump shut off when it reached $75, and it still wasn't full. I had to insert the credit card again to top it off.

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate the help.

Iain Mannix
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
07 May 2010 07:53 AM
fourwhls wrote:

The only downside was when I had to stop and fill it up. The pump shut off when it reached $75, and it still wasn't full. I had to insert the credit card again to top it off.

Congrats, and you found the one thing the Chevy and Ford people DO agree upon.

Super, eh?

Iain

Steve Hoelscher
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
10 May 2010 10:40 AM
Oh, yeah.... 30 gallon tank in my Clubwagon. The range is nice but $100 fill ups really suck. Of course that's not the fault of the van. If gas was $2/gallon as it should be, there wouldn't be a problem. When I bought my van $20 would fill it up. Unfortunately, gas prices aren't going down any time soon.
Steve Hoelscher
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
15 May 2010 02:59 PM

FYI: Driving south on I-95 yesterday, I passed a late model GMC Savana 3500 stretch (cargo van), with a Duramax badge on the fender. Now a stretch passenger van with a duramax might be worth looking at.

jrose29

--
17 May 2010 06:16 PM
Steve Hoelscher wrote:

FYI: Driving south on I-95 yesterday, I passed a late model GMC Savana 3500 stretch (cargo van), with a Duramax badge on the fender. Now a stretch passenger van with a duramax might be worth looking at.

I would agree.......I just bought a 96 Ford E-350 with the 7.3L Powerstroke in it. It took alot of work to get it in good running condition but now that it is i like it a lot.

Have not towed with it yet but it should be wonderful....I'll give an mpg update when i finally do.

Also try filling a 55 gallon tank with diesel.......not fun.

Steve Hoelscher
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
18 May 2010 09:01 AM
jrose29 wrote:

I would agree.......I just bought a 96 Ford E-350 with the 7.3L Powerstroke in it. It took alot of work to get it in good running condition but now that it is i like it a lot.

Have not towed with it yet but it should be wonderful....I'll give an mpg update when i finally do.

Also try filling a 55 gallon tank with diesel.......not fun.

That's exactly what I was shopping for when I bought my current van. In fact, the current van was supposed to be temporary while I found the E350 PS Clubwagon XLT. Eventually, the search tailed off as I was happy with the existing van.

fourwhls

--
18 May 2010 10:26 AM

Now that I have the new van....How do I set it up?

I'm thinking....

Pull all the seats except for the one right behind the driver.

Use the mounting location for the last seat to create a partition so the tools/parts/etc stay in the back.

Drop down DVD for when the kids come along.

any other recommendations?

Steve,

I see that you are signed up for the divisional in DC next weekend. Take it easy on us.

marka
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
18 May 2010 10:56 AM

Howdy,

fourwhls wrote:

I'm thinking....

Use the mounting location for the last seat to create a partition so the tools/parts/etc stay in the back.

For mine (Chevy 3500 extended passenger van), I pulled the last two rows of seats, leaving the two closer to the front. I just put all my tools and crap in a plastic box, which lets me slide it around out of the way, etc. or use a bungee to hook it to a seat mount or something in the rear to keep it closer to the door.

If yours is a 12 passenger, I'd probably still pull two rear seats, as this seems to be "about right" in terms of cargo room. I don't use the 2nd remaining rear seat very often at all, so I don't think it'd be a huge loss (particularly since you could put them back in when necessary).

I've been tempted to cut some plywood for my cargo area, since the passenger seat rails on the floor stick up some and its not a smooth surface under the carpet/padding. I haven't actually done it yet though.

I don't know how the gauges are in the Ford, but I just added a ScanGauge II in mine on the advice of some folks. Its a super easy to install obdII / CAN guage/code reader. $150 from http://scangaugesales.com/. The Chevy doesn't have a tach or trans temp gauges, and this lets me show that, plus a bunch of other stuff (currently my avg mpg and distance to empty, but there are a ton of options). Highly recommended, at least in the short time I've had it.

Mark

Steve Hoelscher
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
18 May 2010 11:59 AM
fourwhls wrote:

I'm thinking....

Yours is a 15 passenger right? For towing stability, you want the heaviest part of the load ahead of the rear axle (closer to the mid point between the axles is best. With the 15 passenger van you have lots of room. Mark's idea is great if you have the need to haul people regularly. There is one important thing to remember when towing with a van. Anything you put in the back can become a projectile in an accident. So attaching a plastic bin to the rear seat mounts to put the heavy stuff in isn't a bad idea.

I did kinda what Mark did and you mentioned. I pulled all of the seats except the first row behind the fronts. I stack tires and put tools/equipment in heavy plastic bins behind the 1st bench. The bench will keep most of the stuff back there in an accident. I can reach stuff through either the side door or rear doors. This keeps the bench open for people and that's where I put my luggage when towing to out of town events.

I would recommend you also look at the running gear. I assume it has a transmission cooler so verify that and that its of adequate size. With 100K miles I would consider doing shocks. Bilstiens or KYB's are great for towing. Also, I highly recommend ceramic brake pads. And do bleed the brakes thoroughly. Tires are another big issue. Quality tires of the proper load rating make a big difference in handling/stability. And depending on the load you are towing, a trailer brake controller.

fourwhls wrote:

Steve,

I see that you are signed up for the divisional in DC next weekend. Take it easy on us.

HA! I have only driven one event this year (the Dixie Tour) and that's it since the '09 Nationals. I am kinda rusty and its been several years since I ran at FedEx. Not to mention the car hasn't been touched in that time.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
Leroy Engineering Micro Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner