Car class assistance/planning
 8 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
christobevii3

--
23 Jan 2017 11:35 AM

Hello, I've been autocrossing a bit but still not really sure which class I should be or aiming for.  The local people don't seem to care too much but would help if I knew exactly what was going on.

Car:  2016 Veloster Turbo R-Spec

Suspension:

Ksport coilovers

whiteline caster bushings

whiteline end links

front sway bar upgrade

rear sway bar add

strut tower bracing

lower engine mount

aftermarket crash bar

rigid collars

6 point brace that ties lca front bolt to 4 points in the mid section (i think this is what i would need to change to only a lca brace only)

Performance:

CAI

Catted downpipe

Aftermarket exhaust

60mm tb from other car with non turbo 1.6L stock is 57mm

upgraded intercooler hot pipe

upgraded intercooler cold pipe

upgraded fuel pump and fuel line

ECU tune that alters targeted afr and raises boost

Tires:

Kumho v720

Misc:

Upgrading to lsd later

Upgrading to lighter flywheel/clutch

What class should I be?  FSP? 

drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    23 Jan 2017 03:58 PM
    Your mods put the car in Street Prepared (namely the increased boost, bigger TB, and upgraded charge pipes as well as the R-comp tires).

The Veloster is not specifically categorized in Street Prepared in Appendix A. As such it falls into the catch-all for DSP - 4 cylinder forced induction 2WD sedan under 3.0L.

Although you are supposed to read up from the last class and go up from there and there is a Hyundai (NOC) is in FSP, your car really isn't within the spirit of FSP. Either way the car is not eligible for national events under either clause.

You could also run SMF and would have to run SMF if you wanted to run a national event.
    christobevii3

--
    23 Jan 2017 04:18 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Is the six point brace legal in both or only DSP? I think smf you can only connect front control arms. If so I can swap to the 2 point but if I don't need to it protects underbody from bad parking lot exits. Tires are 200utg but in that class I can run sub 200 right?

Is that correct?
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Jan 2017 01:13 AM
    Yes, I was mistaken about the tires, I had that tire model confused with a different one. Yes, Street Prepared allows R-Comps.

Yes, the lower brace is illegal in Street Prepared. It is legal in Street Modified (SMF).
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Jan 2017 03:38 AM
    Posted By drdisque on 23 Jan 2017 03:58 PM
    Your mods put the car in Street Prepared (namely the increased boost, bigger TB, and upgraded charge pipes as well as the R-comp tires).

The Veloster is not specifically categorized in Street Prepared in Appendix A. As such it falls into the catch-all for DSP - 4 cylinder forced induction 2WD sedan under 3.0L.

Although you are supposed to read up from the last class and go up from there and there is a Hyundai (NOC) is in FSP, your car really isn't within the spirit of FSP. Either way the car is not eligible for national events under either clause.

You could also run SMF and would have to run SMF if you wanted to run a national event.

Why do you think it's not in the spirit of FSP?  It's a FWD compact car and Elantra on the same chassis is FSP.  I'm thinking FSP is the right class locally.

drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Jan 2017 01:10 PM
    Because Street Prepared allows raised boost and the only other turbo cars in FSP are very low displacement small turbo cars from the 80s like the Chevy Sprint and Subaru XT..

I believe that the intent is that modern Turbo FWD cars go to DSP.

But yeah, you would not be in violation of the letter of the law if you ran FSP (and made the car legal for FSP by changing the bracing).

I believe your bracing would be legal in SMF as a "subframe connector"
    christobevii3

--
    25 Jan 2017 12:05 PM
    Aren't subframe connectors only allowed on fbody mustangs and Camaros? That's where I think the lower strut brace being two point is and and six is DSP. I really don't see any allowance of the six point
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Jan 2017 11:33 PM
    You're right (sort of). Nothing specific about Mustangs and Camaro's, everything is allowed Subframe connectors in both SP and SM. However, they must be Longitudinal and cannot connect to more than 3 points on each side

Here is the verbiage from 15.2.E:

E. Longitudinal (fore-aft) subframe connectors (SFCs) are permitted with
    the following restrictions:
    1. They must only connect previously unconnected boxed frame rails on
    unibody vehicles.
    2. Each SFC must attach at no more than three points on the unibody (e.g.,
    front, rear, and one point in between such as a seat mount brace or
    rocker box brace).
    3. SFCs must be bolted or welded, but welding must be to the OE sub- frame stampings, not to the floor pan in between.
    4. No cutting of OE subframes or floorpan stampings is permitted. Drilling
    is permitted for mounting bolts only.
    5. No cross-car/lateral/triangulated connections directly between the
    driver’s side and passenger’s side SFCs are permitted. Connections to
    OE components such as tunnel braces or closure panels via bolts are
    allowed and count as the third point of attachment. No alteration to the
    OE components is permitted.
    6. SFCs may not be used to attach other components (including but not
    limited to torque arm front mounts or driveshaft loops) and may serve
    no other purpose.

So, I don't know the shape of your brace, but you could sever it in the middle (if possible) and call it a pair of 3 point subframe connectors OR as you mentioned, you could replace it with a widthwise brace between the two LCA's.

So I guess it would be worth mentioning that as it sits, with the brace, your car would technically be in F-Prepared or X-Prepared

christobevii3

--
    26 Jan 2017 11:38 AM
    Great! That is where I didn't know where to go with the 6 point. I guess in theory I could cut the boxing out and fit in there but probably better off just running the 2 point since I have it and go in FSP. Will do that this weekend. SMF is a little worse paxing but there is an acura rsx turbo I could compete against too.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner