Class & Mods on the 'Stang
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
SidewaysStang

--
26 Jan 2017 10:24 AM

Recently started a mustang project and have decided i would like to get into some road racing and autocross, likely starting in 2018. My question for people more familiar with the rules then I would be what classes would my car be eligible for? Its a 1984 mustang and will be receiving a ford 302 windsor motor. I have tried reading through the rule sets for SCCA racing, and have ended up more confused then when i started. Also, i have noticed some classes allow for subframe connectors with only 3 points of contact. One of the options for my car is from Maximum Motorsports, but the rear section runs along the entire length of the rear subframe before it turns up over the rear axle. Would welding the whole duration of contact are count as one of the 3 points, or would it make this mod illegal for some classes due to the fact the rear portion of the subframe connector is in contact with the rear subframe for a length of easily a foot or more. I know the design is to have two points that straddle the rear subframe and get welded in, one point at the seat mount, and one point at the front, but welding the rear portion along the entire area of contact would be one point of contact, i just need to know if SCCA would agree or disagree with that observation, or deem it illegal as that one point of contact is too large/covers too large an area of the subframe. 

Also, i know factory mounting points for suspension and/or subframes in some classes must be retained and un-altered, would switching my rear end (7.5 to an 8.8 out of v8 model mustang) count as changing these points even though the geometry is the same, and that rear end would have been the factory unit if the car was a factory v8 vehicle instead of a factory 4 cylinder car? 

and for anyone who may comment saying my car may not be the best choice, my intention is simply to have fun and learn on a relatively cheap and easy to fix/mod platform, that i had for another project/adventure(first motor swap, first stick car), and i do not intend to go out and be competitive, win, podium, or even finish higher then last in whatever class the car falls into or is prepped to run in. No i will not run the car stock, as these chassis are prone to twisting and shifting if subframe connectors are not installed, and if possible/legal i will be welding in re-enforcing plates on the chassis mounts for the upper and lower rear control arms as those too are prone to twisting or tearing/cracking if put under heavy strain. I dont want to utterly destroy my chassis my first time on the track, so said mods will be performed before i get involved in scca autocross, hence my question of class legality. 

Thanks- Alex

47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    26 Jan 2017 02:12 PM
    Alex,

CAM-T is the droid you are looking for: http://cdn.growassets.net/user_file...1446494308

I don't know what region you run in, but I haven't heard of too many (any?) that don't have the highly successful CAM classes. They fit what you are wanting to do perfectly.

And yes, that is all of the rules.

HTH,

DaveW
    SidewaysStang

--
    26 Jan 2017 03:14 PM

Either northeast or southwest, depending on where im taking classes next spring. Ill read through those rules before asking any more questions, thanks! 

SidewaysStang

--
    26 Jan 2017 03:49 PM
    With areas not mentioned- chassis/frame- do i assume rules are open and i can do as i please, or do they have to remain stock (no subframe re-enforcement or cage, lower brace, strut tower brace, etc.)
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    26 Jan 2017 07:45 PM
    Posted By SidewaysStang on 26 Jan 2017 03:49 PM
    With areas not mentioned- chassis/frame- do i assume rules are open and i can do as i please, or do they have to remain stock (no subframe re-enforcement or cage, lower brace, strut tower brace, etc.)

You can do all of that.  CAM is wide open.

DaveW

SidewaysStang

--
    26 Jan 2017 07:59 PM
    Perfect, looks like CAM will be my happy place! at least until my competitiveness kicks in and i waste my life savings on a mustang... again.
    Grintch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Feb 2017 02:32 PM
    But CAM is autocross. If you intend to road race too...

Check with you local region to see if they have some sort of unrestricted ITE or SPO class where a CAM car would fit. If not look at T1, and AS. The only classes that come to mind that allow modified V8 mustangs with stuck tubs.

But if Road Race is code for drive on a road course rather than full on wheel to wheel club racing, PDX has no classes and Time Trials can use the autocross classes (though this cuts off at some point, around Street Prepared or Street Modified, not sure if CAM is included or not).
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner