22 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
EPidiot1

--
02 Feb 2017 01:38 PM
    So I'm considering taking a year off from prepared class to do some much needed refreshing on my 90 Miata.  I had a few questions for the STS drivers. Is anyone opposed to me having an not factory spoiler? Can A/C be removed? The spoiler is just a small duck tail type spoiler. Other than that all other upgrades will be within STS rules. Look forward to getting some rwd seat time. Thanks

TD53
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 Feb 2017 01:49 PM
    Paging Sean Greer...
    EPidiot1

--
    02 Feb 2017 02:15 PM
    Exactly.
    sgreer78
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    02 Feb 2017 04:56 PM

I don't care about a spoiler, as long as it's not a CSP type. Do you have a photo?  I'm pretty sure all 90 Miatas were available without AC as well so you're good there too. Might wanna research what option package your car is and see what it could and couldn't come with new. Because to the rules, if you're wanting something that was say Pkg A and you have a B, technically you're supposed to convert the entire car over to A. Comfort and convenience allowance helps with some of that.  

EPidiot1

--
    02 Feb 2017 11:07 PM
    EPidiot1

--
    02 Feb 2017 11:08 PM
    That is the style I'm ordering. The a/c may stay on. I have had the car 4 years and its never worked. Taking the a/c off hangs on the outcome of filling it and it still working.
    sgreer78
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    03 Feb 2017 02:06 AM
    Eh, that's on the verge of me being irritated. Especially since it's not on the car now. I mean I really don't care, but no way in hell you'd run nationally with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EPidiot1

--
    04 Feb 2017 03:27 PM
    Fair enough. Better to ask first.
    gidtup
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    06 Feb 2017 10:55 AM
    I don't have a dog in this at all... But Good Ol' Greer may not care but remember that others running for overall yearly index might.
    sgreer78
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    06 Feb 2017 02:20 PM
    Yeah, that too. ^^

EPidiot1

--
    07 Feb 2017 04:04 PM
    Agreed. I think I'm gonna go with an R package spoiler. I just need to find out if it was offered as a single option on the non r package cars.
    sgreer78
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    07 Feb 2017 04:25 PM
    To my knowledge it was available in the BRG package and R-pack only from 94-97. But as Rob posted below maybe not.

There is an aftermarket replica that's pretty close.

rkammerer

--
    07 Feb 2017 04:40 PM
    Miata.net seems to think the R-pack bits were available as Dealer-installed accessories for the 1.6 cars.
    Air Dams

Street Touring sec 14.2 - Bodywork

F. Addition of spoilers, splitters, rear wings, bumper covers, valances, side skirts, and non-functional scoops/vents is allowed provided that either:

1. It is a production part which is standard or optional equipment of a US model of the vehicle. (“Model” is defined in Section 12.)

2. It is listed in the vehicle manufacturer’s US accessory catalog for that vehicle for normal highway use. This does not allow for parts sold through a manufacturer’s performance catalog (e.g., Ford Racing, HPD, Mazdaspeed, Mopar Performance, Mugen, NISMO, SPT, TRD, etc). Parts must be installed as directed by the manufacturer. Exact replicas,including weight, from alternate sources are also permitted.

So, if the R-package style spoiler was actual a "US accessory" in 1990 (Miata.net certainly isn't 100% accurate), and you find a replica that matches in weight/dimension, 14.2.F.2 may apply.
    EPidiot1

--
    07 Feb 2017 06:45 PM
    Thanks Rob thats the exact one I was wondering about. I would say the rule does apply. The copyright on that brochure is 1989. That is such a strange way to right that rule. Sorry guys just being picky. The back of that car is just bland looking with out the spoiler.
    sgreer78
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    07 Feb 2017 06:54 PM
    Even if if weren't 100% legal, hardly anyone would even care. It adds weight and has performance benefit. But the first one you posted, whether or not it adds anything, is CLEARLY aftermarket/performance oriented.

And yes, a bare NA in the back is quite boring.
    EPidiot1

--
    04 Mar 2017 08:34 PM
    Its all coming along nicely. Finishing up the suspension work this weekend and replacing the timing belt. I will say I forgot how much time it takes to really do a full suspension rebuild. I just hope it all pays off.
    EPidiot1

--
    30 Mar 2017 11:19 AM
    So everything went pretty well at test n tune. I'm pretty happy with the cars performance just need some tires that aren't 3 years old. So I'm looking for opinions on tires. I'm really leaning towards BFG Rival-s doesn't seem like the RE-71r is available in 225/45r15.
    Matthewm3

--
    30 Mar 2017 01:26 PM
    I have a brand new set of 2 -225/45/15 rival S. I'd sell for a discount. I also have a used set of 2- 205/50/15 rivalS I'm looking to sell.
    sgreer78
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    30 Mar 2017 03:20 PM
    If you're going to use those 15x7's, you don't want 225's anyway, especially Rivals. . Pick those 205's up from Matt and be done with it. I have 4 205's I'd sell cheap too. You could have 6 tires, more than enough to last you the season for probably pretty cheap. If you're set on new tires, 205 re71's are the way to go for those wheels.

96SM2
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Mar 2017 05:19 PM
    I agree with sgreer78 on going with the 205's on a 7" wheel.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner