Last Post 18 Mar 2017 07:42 AM by  Z3papa
Class help: 2003 Mustang w/ suspension swap
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

--
12 Mar 2017 10:05 AM

I'm preparing to do a complete front suspension swapout on my 2003 Mustang Mach 1 including tubular K-member, tubular A-arms  and Eibach coilovers. While the K-member is off the car, I'm also going to do a complete exhaust swap with long tube headers, catted X-pipe, and Flowmasters.

My question is finding the Solo class the car will be in with the suspension changes. Having read the 2017 rules, I think I'm all the way down in Street Modified, but that seems extreme for what I'm doing with the car. 

Street Prepared seems like where I should be in spirit, but it has some weird hangups. 2-point strut tower bars may be added, and sub-frame connectors can be added (Mach 1 already has SFCs), both of which increase chassis rigidity. But changes to the any subframes (you consider the K-member a subframe, right?) are for mounting purposes or strengthening (durability) only. Additional connections, etc. (adding rigidity) are not allowed. Losing weight is pretty strictly prohibited.

My purpose for doing the mods is to strengthen the chassis and suspension components and introduce rigidity to the notoriously flexible Mustang platform. And also to make working in the engine bay easier. I intend to keep the stock geometry by using a K-member which specifically claims to do so, and by using stock-replacement tubular A-arms, along with caster-camber plates and a bump-steer kit to regain stock caster/camber/alignment settings. This should satisfy the intent of the rules. 

The problem is going to stronger tubular parts usually gains you strength but also loses weight, which is, again, prohibited by the Street Prepared rules. The loss in weight as best I can surmise before doing it is in the range of 20 or 30 lbs, which I cannot see as a performance-increasing amount. The biggest performance increase would come from the increased front-end rigidity and the improved wheel-rates and damping from the allowed aftermarket coilovers.

This car will stay a daily driver. I'm not making a non-streetable autocross-only monster. I'm not doing engine upgrades or power adders beyond what little is gained with the exhaust swap. I want to stay in a category where there's more competition and I'm not getting my rear-end handed to my by race-prepped track cars.

What say you all? Thanks in advance for your help. 

J

Advanced Member

Advanced Member

--
    12 Mar 2017 05:45 PM

Yeah, you can't do that in SP unfortunately.   Have you looked at CAM-C?  It may fit better with what you're planning.

--
    14 Mar 2017 10:18 AM
    Another vote for you to check out CAM-C. It aligns nicely with what you are trying to do and has one of the least restrictive rule sets in Solo.

All the rules are easy to read and on one page here:

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_file...1479402119

Basic Member

Basic Member

--
    14 Mar 2017 01:54 PM
    How does having virtually unrestricted rules align with a mildly modified daily driver?

--
    14 Mar 2017 04:50 PM

Posted By Grintch on 14 Mar 2017 01:54 PM
    How does having virtually unrestricted rules align with a mildly modified daily driver?

Because many muscle cars with even mild mods are bumped into classes they can't be competitive in. CAM despite a wide open rule set is full of cars just like his.

Basic Member

Basic Member

--
    16 Mar 2017 10:39 AM

At the local level, this is true of most classes.

And a mildly modified car will be just as uncompetitive against fully prepared competition in CAM as in SM.  I guess maybe because CAM is newer, it will tend to have fewer fully prepared cars, but this is unlikely to last forever.

Long term - the only solution is to prep your car for your class (if you care about being competitive) or try to get the rules changed.  I have often thought that the SP rules are too close to the ST rules (mostly SP seems like just ST with R compounds).

Advanced Member

Advanced Member

--
    18 Mar 2017 07:42 AM
    First and foremost, he doesn't likely have a second set of wheels to put r-comps on to even be remotely close to SM speed, and probably doesn't have a trailer or means to get those wheels to an event.  As for being competitive in CAM-C in a lightly modified car, that is mostly up to the nut behind the wheel.  I've been at a number of events where CAM was outpaced by stock cars. 

Posted By Grintch on 16 Mar 2017 10:39 AM

At the local level, this is true of most classes.

And a mildly modified car will be just as uncompetitive against fully prepared competition in CAM as in SM.  I guess maybe because CAM is newer, it will tend to have fewer fully prepared cars, but this is unlikely to last forever.

Long term - the only solution is to prep your car for your class (if you care about being competitive) or try to get the rules changed.  I have often thought that the SP rules are too close to the ST rules (mostly SP seems like just ST with R compounds).

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    Race-Technology Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    saferacer

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner