2013-16 2.5L Cadillac ATS?
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
IndyIan

--
13 Apr 2017 11:37 PM

Anyone seen one of these run around the cones?  I'm considering getting one as its probably the best 4dr rwd chassis I can afford to DD.  I'm aware its not going to be fast, but I'm more concerned about the open diff.  There isn't one locally to try out unfortunately.  I'd think with reasonably stiff suspension and 50/50 weight distribution and only 200hp, it should put the power down pretty good.

Lots of the automatic 2.0T and 3.6 cars will have an open rear diff too, so maybe if anyone has seen one of them run, I'd like to hear how it did.

Thanks, Ian

sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    15 Apr 2017 08:51 AM
    We had one run at a nearby club a few years back; there are a couple videos online of them elsewhere, too. BIG and HEAVY. There's going to be a lot of course dependence given the mix in GS, but I don't think it would be competitive vs FoST on any course. Should be fun, at any rate! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTLX-wkTRqo

Genesis Coupe is another option, though in a similar classing situation. Couple Q. Is RWD or competitiveness more important to you? Do you need four doors or just four seats? What about AWD like Subaru STI?
    IndyIan

--
    18 Apr 2017 10:48 AM

I have a bit of a commute and gas prices in Canada are getting near $4/gal for regular, so I need 30+mpg hwy on regular, or perhaps a bit better mileage with premium.

I'm going to stay in the Street classes or maybe street prepared, but no serious mods.

I need back seats only big enough for two kids around 4' tall, but this car isn't going to be the family hauler.

I'd prefer rwd(haven't owned one yet), but fwd with a functional LSD would be OK.

My price range is around $15-17k which seems to get lots of interesting 3-4 yr old cars with some warranty left.

So its ATS, FRS, and the FieSTa that seem to be the obvious choices.

Genesis coupes seem to be more money up here and don't hit my mileage target, the 2011-14? 3.7 track pack mustang gets the mileage but tends be out of warranty in my price range.  

Also I like simple cars, so the mustang with the non-DI minivan motor and a manual trans is appealing.

So far my autocross weapons, have been an 85 corolla, a 95 Neon and a 07 Focus wagon, so even the 2.5 ATS or FRS will seem pretty quick.

sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    20 Apr 2017 05:51 AM
    So you need a practical and fun 4 seat car that gets good mileage and you can autocross? Sounds like you need a 911 Turbo!

FRS or BRZ seem to tick all your boxes aside from the kids will have to crawl through the front doors, which they'd probably love at this age because they get to ride in Dad's sports car. They're classed reasonably well in DS, are in your price range, tires are (relatively) cheap and they're really fun to autocross. Would be a huge step up on your previous HS toys. I would test drive all the cars you mentioned and see what you like, but I DD/autocross a Boxster S and FRS/BRZ are both on my short list of cars I can see me owning, too.
    IndyIan

--
    20 Apr 2017 03:44 PM
    Posted By sjfehr on 20 Apr 2017 05:51 AM
    So you need a practical and fun 4 seat car that gets good mileage and you can autocross? Sounds like you need a 911 Turbo!

FRS or BRZ seem to tick all your boxes aside from the kids will have to crawl through the front doors, which they'd probably love at this age because they get to ride in Dad's sports car. They're classed reasonably well in DS, are in your price range, tires are (relatively) cheap and they're really fun to autocross. Would be a huge step up on your previous HS toys. I would test drive all the cars you mentioned and see what you like, but I DD/autocross a Boxster S and FRS/BRZ are both on my short list of cars I can see me owning, too.

Yeah, probably the FRS is my best bet while the kids still fit!  The Caddy would be an easier sell to the wife, but for a cheap good "race car" the FRS is hard to beat.

Cito
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    21 Apr 2017 02:07 PM
    Focus ST's are available in that price range and have been very competitive in gs. Not RWD, but they drive different than most FWD.  People complain about the interior, but the ATS interior is one of the weaknesses of that car.   Another alternative, the base Camaro, basically a really butch ATS 2.0t coupe, is proving very competitive in DS.  They can be found for less than 20k new on the lot. 
    IndyIan

--
    24 Apr 2017 08:55 AM
    We had the first AX of the year this weekend and I got a ride in a BRZ with re71r's on it, stock suspension except a stiffer front swaybar. Wow, it is quite the cone carving machine!
    The back seats sure are small though. With the driver seat fully dropped there isn't much space for toes under it either.
    I tried some higher rear tire pressure with my Focus wagon and it felt better and I ended up winning my class and took 2nd overall, behind the BRZ! So that helps the car not feel so much like a piece of junk... I'm only running bfg sport comp2's but yesterday was cool and the lot dusty so they didn't seem too far off the the 200TW tires.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner