New Street Touring OPen (ST-OP) class needed
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

Der Wankel

--
04 May 2017 02:17 PM
     New Street Touring OPen (ST-OP) class needed.

Vehicle Eligibility-
    Any vehicle listed as eligible for any SCCA Street class.

Modifications Allowed-
    All Street Touring (Section 14) modifications allowed.

Street Touring Specific Restrictions-
    No restriciton to tire or wheel width under Street Touring Section 14.3 and 14.4.

I am sure I am not alone in wanting to participate competitively on street tires but being told that my vehicle does not fit within the scope of Street Touring classes (too high performance platform).

This class would require a minimum of rules writing and rules maintanance to implement while enabling a high number of vehicles to compete.

In my local sports car club (established in the 1950s) our resident old timer racer had his membership to the club under consideration of being rejected in the 1960s because he did not own a "sports car" (he owned a Karmann Ghia, not a Porsche... yet).

It seems that the backlash from that outlook has come full circle and now high performance sports cars are being discriminated against in the Sports Car Club of America.  Which is JUST WRONG!

SCCA should promote performance cars, but not at the expense of more common cars.

Grintch

Basic Member

Basic Member

--
    15 Feb 2018 02:21 PM

Well obviously STOP is a terrible name for a racing class, STO maybe?

Have you considered CAM-S?

Der Wankel

--
    29 Jun 2018 12:32 PM
    I believe STO was already used as a class - Street Touring Open a few years ago.

Can't compete in CAM variant classes- the "supercar" in question that I race and SCCA deems too high performance for the scope of Street Touring isn't a Corvette (1997-2004 Corvettes are allowed in Street Touring) it is a 1993 Mazda.  Only "American" chassis are allowed in CAM variants with the exception of Cobras (British).

Grintch

Basic Member

Basic Member

--
    29 Jun 2018 01:34 PM

Oh yes, because the SCCA hates the Miata.  Why it only has 30 classes it can run in, and 20 it dominates.

Why can't you run STS, STR, or STU? 

Didn't STU used to allow people to up class if they didn't meet the more limited STS, STX, etc. rules?

rodhx

--
    30 Jun 2018 07:10 PM
    He's being vague but I assume he must be talking about a turbo RX-7. But there are lots of cars with no ST home...including many C5Z06, C6, & C7 Vettes.

Street Touring was revamped several years ago to have only one class for a given car, kinda like Street. There are a few exceptions that are specifically mentioned in Appendix A, but the Street Touring class-hopping ended some time ago.

Grintch

Basic Member

Basic Member

--
    02 Jul 2018 11:10 AM
    Posted By rodhx on 30 Jun 2018 07:10 PM
    He's being vague but I assume he must be talking about a turbo RX-7. But there are lots of cars with no ST home...including many C5Z06, C6, & C7 Vettes.

Street Touring was revamped several years ago to have only one class for a given car, kinda like Street. There are a few exceptions that are specifically mentioned in Appendix A, but the Street Touring class-hopping ended some time ago.

Funny how my brain converted "Mazda" to "Miata".

Does ST need a full blown set of classes comparable to SP?  Yes.  Including an ASP equivalent.  I think part of the issue is the ST and SP have always been a little too close in mods to have both with 6 or more sub classes.  If ST is just SP with street tires, then do we really need both?  Maybe ST needs a little more restrictive, or SP needs a little more open allowances?

ST-OP is a terrible name for a class, and Street Touring Ultimate (and Extreme) kind of boxes the SCCA in.  What is better/faster than Ultimate or Extreme?  Can't use Super, as we already have a STS. Super Duper maybe ;-).

Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge has a Import class, maybe we need a CAM style class to capture those cars as well?

Der Wankel

--
    02 Jul 2018 02:35 PM
    Yeah, I don't really have a preference on what the class is called.

Recap: I would like SCCA to include in their Street Touring line-up a class in which all Street Class eligible vehicles (to keep it production car based) are allowed and the most lenient existing Street Touring rules are applied (wheel/tire widths).  This would be a place for C5 Z06, C6, C7 Corvettes (as noted) to compete and other less competitive cars like my 1993 Mazda RX-7 as well.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank