4 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Never7

--
02 Jul 2017 11:31 AM
    Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but have been autocrossing as a hobby for years now. Before I started the hobby, I had an engine swap for my 2nd-gen RX-7 FC (old engine expired). This engine was also a 13B, but sourced out of a 3rd-gen RX-7 FD. Aside from the ECU, the engine was almost a direct drop-in with new engine mounts to match my car. The rest of the car is essentially full of bolt-on upgrades, with a full stock interior aside from a newer steering (i.e. not a full-prep race car). Tires being used is TW200. Due to my own interpretation of the rules, I simply ran Street Modified for years without much hassle or concern since my local club is very lax on classification. But, I was recently questioned as if I was classing myself incorrectly.

After reading various recent interpretations of the SCCA class rules, it seems like my RX7 may be classified as CSP instead. The car pre-swap was in CS, as it was the Turbo2 trim. The drivetrain rules seem to have possible different definitions as evident from the different interpretations I have encountered. So, what do some of you think about how I should have my car classed?

Thank you very in advance!
    loudes13
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 Jul 2017 11:12 PM
    SSM
    Grintch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Jul 2017 02:52 PM

Right. Add OR CHANGE a turbo, and it's SMx, XP, or EM.

2nd Gen RX-7 and 3rd Gen RX-7s are not only on different classification lines, they are in completely different classes.  So arguing that the engine change was an SP legal update doesn't hold water.

Never7

--
    10 Jul 2017 11:47 PM
    Thank you both for your input! After speaking with more local autocrossers, it seems like SM will be the class I'll run in.

SSM would be correct if the 2nd-gen FC came only as a 2-seater like the FD, but instead it was actually able to be optioned to be 2+2 from the factory, as oddly as that might sound.

As nutty as SM class can get with mods, I'm understanding EM and XP classes are the truly free-for-all ones, like the many LSx-swapped cars. Since my car had a "simple" 13B swap, it was still within the same manufacturer's line of tech. Plus, I'm not running any sort of fuel cell or full race-prep mods, so that was why it was concluded that I should stay in SM.
    Der Wankel

--
    20 Jul 2017 01:01 PM
    FC RX-7 was in SSM until just recently, hence the confusion.

Per February 2016 Fastrack-

Street Modified
    #18364 SM eligibility inquiry
    Per the SMAC, the 1986-1991 Mazda RX7 2+2 meets the requirements for the SM class and is thus allowed to
    compete in Street Modified.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner