New racer needing suggestions.
 3 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Turbochaga

--
23 Aug 2017 01:24 AM
    Hello all! I've waited too long to start racing, I have always been interested racing an it's time to quit making excuses! So here is my issue... Right now I own 2 vehicles, a 2016 scion tC (auto) and a 2009 honda fit (man). Problem is that I need to get rid of the fit as I've just moved to a new city, and will be making a smaller salary. I am making payments on both and I'm required to have full coverage. I plan to sell the fit, but I'd be willing to make the sacrifice to keep it if it outweighs using the tC as a SOLO machine. I was confused when I purchased the tC as to whether or not it was a dual clutch gearbox or a regular old slushbox! Obviously it's a slushbox, but it does rev-match downshift which is a plus! So the fit in this case is definitely the best choice, cheaper tires, cheaper everything.. However if I happen to sell it and us the tC, what are my best options to be able to prevent the transmission from being destroyed? Should I be worried at all? Should I change the ATF, get a cooler? Should I just swap a manual in it?

Thanks all! I'd love to hear your opinions and suggestions.

twistedwankel

--
    23 Aug 2017 03:22 PM
    If the tc is a turbo the auto would work out fine with no turbo lag between shifts. It must have a trans cooler if nothing more than a line to the radiator tank?

Otherwise I know someone who has modded their Fit into a very competitive reliable daily driver/solo car. It has been bulletproof with a 100k on it now. You need to see which car has the best aftermarket support before deciding. I think she's on her 3rd set of motor mounts.

Personally I've always had a dedicated autocross car with low miles and as extreme alignment as it will handle. I keep one more car available than I absolutely need.
    Grintch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    23 Aug 2017 05:26 PM

What do you mean by "racer"?

For real racing the Fit is the better car as it makes a good B Spec car.  Plus it's a manual.

Have you looked at the classing for the two cars in your series/class of choice?  Look at the results for the last couple of championship years to see how competitive they are in class.

For autocross - no trans cooler is needed.  But changing the fluids more often is not a bad idea (and/or using better synthetic fluids).

Turbochaga

--
    23 Aug 2017 08:48 PM

Thanks for your reply twistedwankel. I've actually looked into smacking a turbo on the tC, definitely  better aftermarket support in the engine mods department vs the Fit. I do believe that the tC has lines that run to the radiator from the trans. I'm just worried that if I do use the tC as a daily and AutoX that I could damage it and be out of a car... So I'm trying to take whatever precaution necessary to prevent overheating/damage. I might try and take up an extra job due to my lack of income to keep the Fit. Funny that you say that, I just recently reinforced my mounts.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner