Vorshlag 468x60 Banner
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 15 Sep 2017 04:27 PM by  fyrballmt
Classing options for a purpose built 2000 S10 V8.
 5 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
fyrballmt
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
14 Sep 2017 01:33 PM
    Hello, been a long time since I have posted. Started racing solo in SM with a twin turbo AWD Dodge Stealth later moved into CP with a 3rd generation Camaro. Been out of autocross for the past 7 years. Would prefer to build for prepared but can't find a class that allows a V8 S10. CP would only allow a V6 in a S10. I am wondering if XP would be an option? I am pretty sure it would be allowed in EM. Doubt I could ever make weight but considering I am only an average driver I guess class really does not matter. Other options I saw are SM but I am planning more suspension mods then SM allows or CAMC which looks very interesting And other then 200 tw street tires I really like the minimalistic rules, would really like to run slicks though, locally I am sure I could get away with running in XP or CP as the planned build would be built around those rules. Nothing in XP about trucks though.
    Thank you for any input, I appreciate it, Ray
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    14 Sep 2017 06:59 PM

Appendix A allows you to run a V8 in a car(truck) that started with a V6, or vice versa, as long as the engine is still GM Family.  Page 183 of the current book/PDF

DaveW

fyrballmt
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Sep 2017 07:43 PM
    But page 185 specifically list S10(V6) leading me to believe a V8 S10 is not legal in CP. I have not really scoured the rules but I know trucks are running in EM. Not sure about XP though. Should just bite the bullet and build a fun fast Street truck and run CAMC. My driving or vehicle choice won't be competitive in any class anyway and I like the that the rules would allow me to build it the way I see fit.
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    15 Sep 2017 10:34 AM
    Trust me it is legal. I ran in CP for 9 years, EM for 7, spent 4 years on the PAC, 2 on the SEB and 7 more on the MAC and 2 years on the Nationals Protest Committee. The (v6) wording is likely some legacy wording carried over from a 1920 version of the rules. Every other car in CP is allowed to run any corporate engine and the S10 is no different.

It would be a very different answer for another prepared class. All of the others, except XP, are much more restrictive.

It would also be legal in XP and EM, but the weights there are much lower and you won't be competitive.

DaveW
    fyrballmt
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Sep 2017 04:27 PM
    You are correct Dave. Contacted Doug Gill for clairification, looks like it's time to start gutting it for CP. Yipeee!!!!!! Makes me feel better as I love CP. Happy to be returning to the best class in solo II.
    fyrballmt
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Sep 2017 04:27 PM
    BTW, my driving is not competitive. I believe can build a competitive car that I can do well with at a local level but once you go to larger events the drivers are in a totally different league. Although we do have a few national level competitors locally that have trophied.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner