SPS 468x60 Banner
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 14 Oct 2017 12:02 AM by  Z3papa
RSX-S to H Street; Why Not 2000+ Celica GT?
 4 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Paxman
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
19 Sep 2017 09:40 AM
    As we know, SCCA injected lots of testosterone, hormones and steroids into the "new" H Street Class, to save it from extinction. The RSX-S has just been added for 2018.

200HP cars are commonplace there now, while the NA Mini still gives many of them fits. So, why then, has the 2000+ Celica GT again been denied placement there? Getting older, and certainly out of place in the current G Street. Seems a natural to me.

Just curious. Thx.
    Cito
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Sep 2017 09:17 AM
    IMHO, its a second tier G-street car--like the Fiesta ST. So, I agree with you. Not that it matters. I'll save others the trouble and tell you to write some letters to SCCA. Discussing it here is fun and futile.
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Sep 2017 09:46 PM

I disagree with a number of recent HS classing of cars that make HS basically GS-lite. I think FiST and Mini should be in GS with FoST, not in HS with cars with half the horsepower but weigh 1000lbs more. We need HS to be an appropriate home for grocery getters, econoboxes, and all sorts of other cars nobody in their right mind would buy for autocross yet people still show up in. It doesn't matter if it doesn't appeal to SRS BZNS competitors; it's a class that's needed at the regional level.

Paxman
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 Oct 2017 07:53 PM
    +1. This perspective just makes so much sense. But as many of us know, SCCA Solo National's Prime directive has nothing to do with what's good for Regional events. It is focused primarily with what brings in numbers at the National Level. Period.
    Not sour grapes, or whining; fact. The typical answer has always been "Well, just create and run those Classes at the local level". Without National recognition and support, won't happen. For those that do travel to more than one venue, even locally, not having that same accommodation at more than one location makes it pointless.
    How many more new Classes for 2018 (next year) for newer current models? STH, Spec BRZ/FRS, and......? But nothing for "Grassroots".
    Sad.
    Z3papa
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    14 Oct 2017 12:02 AM
    Posted By sjfehr on 24 Sep 2017 09:46 PM

I disagree with a number of recent HS classing of cars that make HS basically GS-lite. I think FiST and Mini should be in GS with FoST, not in HS with cars with half the horsepower but weigh 1000lbs more. We need HS to be an appropriate home for grocery getters, econoboxes, and all sorts of other cars nobody in their right mind would buy for autocross yet people still show up in. It doesn't matter if it doesn't appeal to SRS BZNS competitors; it's a class that's needed at the regional level.

Tell me any car on the planet, which has half the horsepower of a mini cooper (non S) and weighs 1000# more which anyone would ever consider running in HS?  That is plain stupid.  The Celica is a GS second tier but not all cars, especially those that are 14-17 years old, are not typically going to be reclassed and made into the car to have.  People never really consider how light, how much camber, and power to weight those Celicas had which kept them competitve until the Focus ST and GTi became the cars to have.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner