You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>
Author Messages
96SM2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
09 Oct 2017 05:42 PM
That was the language I remember for handling the math. This years supps just had a +1 added to it.
One of the posts mentions decisions posted on fb, I wonder why that info is not posted here also. Is this not the official forum for stuff like that? I know, I know, join the current generational form of communication old man. 🙄 😀
sgreer78
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
09 Oct 2017 06:23 PM
Posted By 96SM2 on 09 Oct 2017 05:42 PM
That was the language I remember for handling the math. This years supps just had a +1 added to it.
One of the posts mentions decisions posted on fb, I wonder why that info is not posted here also. Is this not the official forum for stuff like that? I know, I know, join the current generational form of communication old man. 🙄 😀

Wouldn't that be sending the decision by telegram? Maybe morse code?

47CP
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
09 Oct 2017 07:43 PM
Not that anyone cares what I think, or that I have a vote, but I would be vigorously against increasing the number of events required to attend in the future.

Less barriers to entry, not more. Attendance here is stagnant.

DaveW
96SM2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
09 Oct 2017 08:44 PM

Posted By sgreer78 on 09 Oct 2017 06:23 PM

Posted By 96SM2 on 09 Oct 2017 05:42 PM

Wouldn't that be sending the decision by telegram? Maybe morse code?

Funny, funny guy. 😀
Matthewm3

--
09 Oct 2017 10:46 PM
Gateway is a terrible site for autox Mike. We have had as many problems at gateway as at FA. FA is a much better site and usually brings more people. Is it best to please the members or the bank account of the SCCA. In my opinion we should do all our events at FA, and obviously we need another site. I've been working on getting in to Mid America with some political influence but if that happens I would not bring it to the stlsolo.
96SM2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
09 Oct 2017 11:13 PM

Posted By Matthewm3 on 09 Oct 2017 10:46 PM
Gateway is a terrible site for autox Mike. We have had as many problems at gateway as at FA. FA is a much better site and usually brings more people. Is it best to please the members or the bank account of the SCCA. In my opinion we should do all our events at FA, and obviously we need another site. I've been working on getting in to Mid America with some political influence but if that happens I would not bring it to the stlsolo.

????????
I prefer the surface grip at GMP over FA. Why would you not "bring it to STLSOLO"?
Matthewm3

--
09 Oct 2017 11:23 PM
It's not the grip at GMP. It's the compromise due to the bumps, tower, broken asphalt and the course they create. If I can gain access to Mid America the first person i will call is Dave W.
sgreer78
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
10 Oct 2017 01:55 AM

I'm not sure most people feel the bumps who are in stock classed cars. Hell, I never really felt them with the Motons on the CRX. 

Matthewm3

--
10 Oct 2017 07:36 AM
I guess I'll just buy a stock class car then or some $5000 shocks. Better yet Are you looking for a co driver Sean. If so I'll run with you at gateway.
sgreer78
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
10 Oct 2017 07:38 AM
I'm not sure I'd go that far...But we could figure something out.
flyguy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
10 Oct 2017 08:10 AM
There are more problems with FA than the cost although it does cost us several hundred dollars more than Gateway,requires porta-potties ($$$) and the always challenging trailer movement. But those we've dealt with to date. The most concerning issue at the moment is their stated and obvious desire to schedule arena events at the same time as our event. This led to the event cancellation in August when we were going to be allowed to use approx. only the new repaved portion of the lot. They have developed a template that they can use to assign square footage to SCCA when they schedule another event the same day. I refused to cooperate and said we contract for the whole lot - that's the square footage I expect. I'm not too comfortable with that kind of uncertainty. We will likely have events at FA next year because we - and Street Survival need them. I'll be working with them this week to start scheduling dates along with Gateway who is exponentially easier to work with and actually cares about us.
kyoo
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
10 Oct 2017 09:11 AM
Posted By flyguy on 10 Oct 2017 08:10 AM
There are more problems with FA than the cost although it does cost us several hundred dollars more than Gateway,requires porta-potties ($$$) and the always challenging trailer movement. But those we've dealt with to date. The most concerning issue at the moment is their stated and obvious desire to schedule arena events at the same time as our event. This led to the event cancellation in August when we were going to be allowed to use approx. only the new repaved portion of the lot. They have developed a template that they can use to assign square footage to SCCA when they schedule another event the same day. I refused to cooperate and said we contract for the whole lot - that's the square footage I expect. I'm not too comfortable with that kind of uncertainty. We will likely have events at FA next year because we - and Street Survival need them. I'll be working with them this week to start scheduling dates along with Gateway who is exponentially easier to work with and actually cares about us.

just wanted to echo this. Mike works very, very hard to secure the sites for us very early on. FA is awful to work with - not just the cost like he said. No dates in the spring/early summer due to graduations, cancelling on us any chance they get if they've got someone else they can get in. despite the "contracts" they pretty much pencil us in and ignore it if something with more $$ comes along. the lot is much smoother/better of course, but booking more events on that lot is asking for more cancellations/reschedules. 

47CP
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
10 Oct 2017 09:20 AM
Posted By kyoo on 10 Oct 2017 09:11 AM
Posted By flyguy on 10 Oct 2017 08:10 AM

just wanted to echo this. Mike works very, very hard to secure the sites for us very early on. FA is awful to work with - not just the cost like he said. No dates in the spring/early summer due to graduations, cancelling on us any chance they get if they've got someone else they can get in. despite the "contracts" they pretty much pencil us in and ignore it if something with more $$ comes along. the lot is much smoother/better of course, but booking more events on that lot is asking for more cancellations/reschedules. 

x3 for Mike's work on lots...the whole process is very time consuming and Family is not terribly easy to work with (hence why there are no GAX events at Family).   Gateway has very few open dates these days, especially for me (GAX) on the low end of the pole, but they are much easier to work with.   

DaveW

jlncc1702e

--
10 Oct 2017 11:41 AM
Posted By Matthewm3 on 09 Oct 2017 10:46 PM

As a heads up on Mid America, we have looked into it and it is under the domain of the Department of Homeland security. Homeland security would require that we send them a list of all attendees 30 days in advance of the event. Which means that we would have to close registration 30 days in advance and there would be no provision for walk-ups. Not a feasible option. The same is true for the large parking lot at Scott AFB where people tell me that we raced once upon a time.

toddbenne

--
10 Oct 2017 11:52 AM

When Event 6 was cancelled I had emailed stlsolo at the teamsolo email contact inquirying as to what parameters need to be met for a facility to be utilized for our events. I asked about; total square footage of surface? total acreage? amenities? etc and received no reply.

So, I'll toss the same questions up here. I live in St. Charles County and would be willing to look around for possible alternatives over here, keeping distance and logistics in mind. The first large lot that comes to mind is the former Belz Outlet Mall in the Wentzville area. Currently part of the building is used for a church I believe. But I am not certain how big the entire location is, I haven't been there in years since it shuttered. That is just one example.

Otherwise it would take some driving around and perhaps using Google satellite view for some research.

Todd Benne

#77 STF Ford Focus

sgreer78
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
10 Oct 2017 03:31 PM
That lot is full of islands and trees. Definitely not ideal, and nothing I would ever attend. I'm not sure there's anything viable anywhere that hasn't already been scouted. The best thing I've found is a decent sized, probably not big enough for an event though, concrete parking lot in Fenton behind the Chrysler plant used to be. Good enough for  TNT for sure. I haven't been back there in 3 years or so though, not sure if they're started using it for trailer storage or something else. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/N0E9c4tB0VC4Ajlk1

toddbenne

--
10 Oct 2017 03:56 PM

I just took a look at Belz via satellite and yes, too many obstacles around the lot.

Riverport Amphitheater?

GM plant Wentzville? I recall a couple of events there back years ago.

47CP
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
10 Oct 2017 07:24 PM

STLSCCA has run at Riverport relatively recently...maybe up to 2005-6-ish?     When we first started running there, the overflow lots were still gravel and we used the one or two closest to the building, which IIRC were pretty limited.   At some point, they paved the overflow lots to allow car manufacturers to store overflow cars there...which also allowed us to rent them when they weren't full of cars.  I remember that the pavement was very thin and breaking up badly, but I don't remember if we stopped running there  because it was unusable or for some other reason.

I don't think the GM lot has been available since they went to 2 or 3 shifts several years ago.  It is very tough to get more than about a 25 second course there unless you cross over from one lot to the other through the driveway, which is barely legal under SCCA standards and usually results in a car hitting a curb (when the Corvette club did it)

Just information that I remember....

DaveW

toddbenne

--
10 Oct 2017 07:47 PM

Manheim St. Louis over at Earth City? They have an immense expanse of tarmac. Take a look at a sat view of the location. Kind of a tie in with their business. Maybe get them to park cars all at one end and use what is left. Just throwing ideas at the wall.

Upper lot of the Muny? That airprort in Carbondale we used back in the 80's.  :)

Form an investment group. Buy a plot of land out along 370 and build a permanent facility? A huge asphalt parking lot, small building to house T&S, equipment, restrooms, a small store front for SPS, get a Tirerack event to come. Who has a couple million?  lol

sgreer78
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
10 Oct 2017 09:00 PM
Too many cars to move at Mannheim. The Muny lot is puny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports
SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner